CD Changer problem - can you help?

Djharman

Reaction score
I recently bought my 2001 A3 but had no cd changer in - just the head unit!

I took it to Audi and bought the appropriate wiring loom and harness and bought a cd changer from ebay. I installed the wiring loom from the head unit to the boot - just above the sub for the changer.

I followed the instructions for wiring the loom into the head unit, but was left with a pinky/violet wire that wasnt in the instructions so i left it out and connected the other end to the changer and tested it

It recognised there was a cd in the changer but would not play it, just stayed on "TR01" on the display, which i guess means track one. there was no sound so i tried all the other slots on the cartridge - still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? i dont wanna take it to a garage or back to audi as they will charge £75 per hour!

Could it be a dodgey changer (which im assured was in working order) or that pinky wire that is left out?

Cheers

Shouldn't be any wires left out, all 8 slots in the CD bus connector should be occupied.

Any idea where the last wire goes? cuz its not on the diagram from audi? cheers Andy

Well by a process of elimination surely it can only go in the only slot left!