phatsound ????

I

imported_kosh

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifJust thinking pilgrims of adding the phatnoise mp3 player onto my new a4 tdi quattro , has anyone got it ???, i would like some words of wisdom as at another £850.00 for the tax man to bosh me with is it worth it ??????? any help would be top top mates

is that a actuall company? i've heard of most audio companies but not phatnoise. depends what they r like, thats a lot of money and for that amount u can get a top of the range kenwood or alpine mp3 player. most car audio magazines and review i read agreed that kenwood mp3's units had the best mp3 sound reproduction quality, but that was a while ago when i brought my kenwood unit. also, for that money u can get a pioneer mp3/dvd/tv unit (avh-7500) from ebay, which has a 6.5" motorised screen. u can watch the music video whilst listening to the music, and obviously it does the mp3's as well. its a wicked HU, with top graphics as well.

lol sorry, just looked it up on the web. didnt realise it was just the mp3 player and storage device, i thought it was a mp3 head unit itself. i think im right in saying that if u r after that then u must have the standard HU in your audi? if that is the case, bear this in mind. for £850 u can get a top of the range kenwood mp3 head unit (around £350-£400), which will sound way better then your standard one. then u can get the kenwood music keg, which is the basically exactly the same thing as the phatnoise unit, and holds similar amount of music (about 20GB worth). this costs around £350 as well. so for the same money, the kenwood combo of hu and the music keg will sound much better then the phatnoise one. but this only applies if u have the standard hu in your car.

words of wisdom - buy it from usa ebay www.ebay.com - you will pay about $450 or so for a new one.

get it shipped over labelled as a gift of no commercial value and you wont get stung for import duty/vat.

(they charge vat on the whole cost including import duty etc, and import duty is charged including the shipping cost - equates to nearly 40% tax overall)

mine worked out at under £300 including shipping, about the same as an mp3 changer, but with the full audi integration and no need to use cdrom disks.

well worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
Joeyz said:
pimpmyaudi, do you have a pic of your dash with that headunit in it?

Love to see it.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

u mean my kenwood head unit?

yeah i worked in currys before, buying a converter is no problem, u can get em for less the £20. also, isn't 80gb a bit too much? i've got thousands of mp3's, more then i can handle (as in so many i don't even know what i got and often don't listen to a song for ages cos i don't see its there) and that takes up about 6gb.

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
words of wisdom - buy it from usa ebay www.ebay.com - you will pay about $450 or so for a new one.

get it shipped over labelled as a gift of no commercial value and you wont get stung for import duty/vat.

(they charge vat on the whole cost including import duty etc, and import duty is charged including the shipping cost - equates to nearly 40% tax overall)

mine worked out at under £300 including shipping, about the same as an mp3 changer, but with the full audi integration and no need to use cdrom disks.

well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did you get your one from in the USA??