Chris NottEM Tuning

Thread: phatsound ????

imported_kosh

phatsound ????

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]Just thinking pilgrims of adding the phatnoise mp3 player onto my new a4 tdi quattro , has anyone got it ???, i would like some words of wisdom as at another Ł850.00 for the tax man to bosh me with is it worth it ??????? any help would be top top mates

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_AudiAuto

Re: phatsound ????

is that a actuall company? i've heard of most audio companies but not phatnoise. depends what they r like, thats a lot of money and for that amount u can get a top of the range kenwood or alpine mp3 player. most car audio magazines and review i read agreed that kenwood mp3's units had the best mp3 sound reproduction quality, but that was a while ago when i brought my kenwood unit. also, for that money u can get a pioneer mp3/dvd/tv unit (avh-7500) from ebay, which has a 6.5" motorised screen. u can watch the music video whilst listening to the music, and obviously it does the mp3's as well. its a wicked HU, with top graphics as well.

imported_AudiAuto

lol sorry, just looked it up on the web. didnt realise it was just the mp3 player and storage device, i thought it was a mp3 head unit itself. i think im right in saying that if u r after that then u must have the standard HU in your audi? if that is the case, bear this in mind. for Ł850 u can get a top of the range kenwood mp3 head unit (around Ł350-Ł400), which will sound way better then your standard one. then u can get the kenwood music keg, which is the basically exactly the same thing as the phatnoise unit, and holds similar amount of music (about 20GB worth). this costs around Ł350 as well. so for the same money, the kenwood combo of hu and the music keg will sound much better then the phatnoise one. but this only applies if u have the standard hu in your car.

Reverse Gear

Status

pimpmyaudi, do you have a pic of your dash with that headunit in it?

Love to see it.

thanks

previously LeeS3

Status

there you go!

previously LeeS3

Status

the silver box in the corner. 40gb phatbox...

4th Gear

Status

words of wisdom - buy it from usa ebay www.ebay.com - you will pay about $450 or so for a new one.

get it shipped over labelled as a gift of no commercial value and you wont get stung for import duty/vat.

(they charge vat on the whole cost including import duty etc, and import duty is charged including the shipping cost - equates to nearly 40% tax overall)

mine worked out at under Ł300 including shipping, about the same as an mp3 changer, but with the full audi integration and no need to use cdrom disks.

well worth it.

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    Joeyz said:
    pimpmyaudi, do you have a pic of your dash with that headunit in it?

Love to see it.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

u mean my kenwood head unit?

imported_AudiAuto

yeah i worked in currys before, buying a converter is no problem, u can get em for less the Ł20. also, isn't 80gb a bit too much? i've got thousands of mp3's, more then i can handle (as in so many i don't even know what i got and often don't listen to a song for ages cos i don't see its there) and that takes up about 6gb.

imported_NS1

[ QUOTE ]
    dunk said:
    words of wisdom - buy it from usa ebay www.ebay.com - you will pay about $450 or so for a new one.

get it shipped over labelled as a gift of no commercial value and you wont get stung for import duty/vat.

(they charge vat on the whole cost including import duty etc, and import duty is charged including the shipping cost - equates to nearly 40% tax overall)

mine worked out at under Ł300 including shipping, about the same as an mp3 changer, but with the full audi integration and no need to use cdrom disks.

well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did you get your one from in the USA??