What is the best solution to playing an iphone 3g through an Audi Concert Cassette?

boson

Reaction score
is there a more modern way than the old cassette to jack adaptors?

You ned to get an ipod adaptor cable from autoleads or from blaupunkt. It will plug into the back of the stereo and will give you the input you crave. I do have a line in cable for the Audi stereo if you want...cost me 15 quid, you could have it for a tenner posted. Regards, Chris-077 899 12128.

No you need an xcarlink or Dension adapter, there's more to it than just wiring, you need some electronics to fool the HU into thinking it has a changer attached otherwise it won't let you select the changer as a recognised source. Both of these provide this.

the dension or carlink interface is for hard wiring the ipod AND keeping the stock changer. With the amount of music you can store on the ipod, i doubt that it will get much use!?! The signal the head unit will receive from the cassete adaptor isnt much worse than the line in and mp3 doesnt offer much quality anyway... The line in lead is just a quick easy solution !:unsure:

the dension or carlink interface is for hard wiring the ipod AND keeping the stock changer. The signal the head unit will receive from the cassete adaptor isnt much worse than the line in and mp3 doesnt offer much quality anyway...

Wow 3 completely incorrect statements there.
You need an additional switched adapter if you still want to use the changer, the Dension or xcarlink do not provide this as standard, they replace the changer lead.
A cassette adapter is far inferior to a line in - or are you claiming cd's provided no improvement in quality over audio tapes?
mp3 quality depends on the bit rate, 192kb is as close to audio cd as makes no difference so try not to use such misleading statements as "mp3 doesnt offer much quality".

surely if you have an Aux line in adapter for the headunit and don't mind controlling the music interface from the iPod, then all you need is one of those iPod AUX out cables?

one of these from eBay for £3 should suffice!
iPhon_AV.jpg

I know it's slight overkill for this requirement, but this is the one I bought as I want to get an AV adapter (and eventually Freeview), plus I already have a USB charger port mounted in the glove box :)

£3incP&P and arrived in 7 working days (9 days total!)..

Why would you need that, you get everything you need to connect your iPOD with the xcarlink or ICELink.

I was just offering an alternative that was a tidier way to connect the iPod and charge it at the same time with one easy £3 cable... not sure how much the Xcarlink / ICElink cost, but I'm guessing more than that?

Has anybody any experience of the Harman + Kardon Drive 'n Play?

Quite like the look of this and it is pretty cheap now that they have brought the new version out.

CM

Last edited:
I was just offering an alternative that was a tidier way to connect the iPod and charge it at the same time with one easy £3 cable... not sure how much the Xcarlink / ICElink cost, but I'm guessing more than that?

And where would this £3 cable plug into?
As said already there is no AUX in on the Audi HU's, you have to use the CD changer input, but to get the HU to recognise this input you need a bunch of electronics to simulate a CD changer being attached. It's not just wiring, there is no alternative to the Dension/xcarlink or similar and they all come with the iPOD connections as part of the package.

AndyMac - I was just working off the original request for a more modern way of getting music from an external source into the headunit without FM broadcast, but was tryign to keep the budget as low as possible.

Admas24 had mentioned he had the AV line in adapter for sale for £10 and the AV line (with charging via a USB adapter) for £2.75*, so that's £13 all-in... provided you don't mind controlling the iPod music via the iPod itself...

* £2.75 inc postage at current exchange rates, and that is assuming that you have a USB charger mounted somewhere or a cigarette to USB charger, but that's another £2.25 inc postage if you need that too... max £15 all-in.

Boson, does the "Connects2" interface that you've gone for allow for controlling more than 6 "CD" units?

I've never needed to look into too much detail at the Connects2 / Denison / xcarlink products, but I know that some of the iPod adapters only let you see the first 5 albums as CD1-CD5 and then all the albums after that are in CD6, so you end up where having the the iPod accessible provides the better interface.

Last edited:
Has anybody any experience of the Harman + Kardon Drive 'n Play?

Quite like the look of this and it is pretty cheap now that they have brought the new version out.

CM

Yes mate, I have one and its superb. It was a bit flaky with my original (1.3 I think) jail break firmware, but since upgrading to v2 and subsequently v3 firmware its been brilliant. Build quality is excellent and to be honest well exceeds the £20 that I paid for mine (SVP.co.uk, but I don't think that they have them any more).

I have the display fixed to the inside of the left hand centre console bar, and the controller just to the left of the steering wheel. All the wires except the power are nicely hidden away. Bear in mind that you need an aux in for best results.

If you don't have an aux in, they can come with 2 flavours of FM modulator either a wireless FM one that your radio will pick up or a hard wired one that plugs into the aerial socket on the back of the HU - usually one or the other so make sure that you buy the one that suits your needs best. I can't comment on the quality of either of these connections as I use the aux in.

The main box (the brains) is located under my seat and has an aux in (3.5mm) for connecting a satnav, in car TV, etc.

It picks up all the playlists / albums etc on my iphone and is much much safer to control whilst driving than using the iphone directly. As the controls are very intuitive, I'd suggest (imho) that it is probably the safest method of controlling an ipod there is. Simply twist the dial left or right to scroll through playlists / tracks / albums, centre button to select.

The only slight concern that I have is that the display does slightly resemble a small crappy satnav, and therefore could be a potential thieve magnet. I understand the the ver 2 drive + play has a removable display but that costs $200 so its a bit out of my price range.

Thoroughly recommended to anyone - in fact since seeing mine, several of my mates have bought them, including one that used to use an icelink.

Another bonus is that you can take it with you when you sell the car without having to purchase new leads etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Zack

Really helpful - I can get one for £30 so I'm thinking it's worth a punt although would like the Dension Gateway but that's a lot more money!

CM