Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Wheels urgently needed

Status

Question fitment of stereo

hi any advice would be great, i have a 1997 A3 8L came with no stereo so purchased original one from ebay fitted works a treat for what i use it for. but it was 2 or 3mm to wide, solved this by triming the interior dash part slightly, it does slide in all the way but wont stay there! it comes out a little about half an inch sticking out the dash pretty unsightly never mind unsecure. so basically i'm asking does these come with a cage to hold them in place? or is this mainly because i've got one from a newer model of a3 than my own? if this is the case that its because of being from a newer model, anyone any ideas on how once i slide it right in to get it to stay there? have tried a old cage from other stereo, didnt work! am at my wits end now cos every time i sit in my car every sigle day i see it and it pi**es me off

thanks in advance for your replys and suggestions welcome on back of a postcard

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Hi,

If you search the forums for 'A3 fascia adaptor' lots of useful advice will result...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Wheels urgently needed

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    Hi,

If you search the forums for 'A3 fascia adaptor' lots of useful advice will result...

Cheers,

standard audi stereo no adaptors required

5th Gear

Status
    Ah. Missed the bit about it being an OEM replacement unit...

Are you sure it was from an A3/S3? The A4 & A6 have slightly different fascias, probably a different cage as well, and the eBay seller may have been 'mistaken about the donor car.

If it's definitely from an A3, then I can only suggest that the retaining clips or the have been damaged at some point. I always remove my Symphony by removing the glovebox and pushing it out from the back, as the fixing mechanism is somewhat flimsy. I would definitely start by looking at them

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.