aftermarket headunit 8l S3 help.....

wagon

**** locked and ready to rock
Reaction score
thats strange, its added the text into my post, oh well i suppose ill just right it out again.

does any know, if it is possible to get a sony head unit in an S3 8l pre facelift. the standard unit was stolen from my car when at the dealers before i brought it, and they replaced it with a unit from sony. obviously none of the plugs match up, and i get no sound.

so is there either a iso cable for sony > audi or am i just best off seraching EGAY for a concert 2 headunit.

also another silly question, how am i to know if i have the bose speaker upgrade, i have a bose sub in the boot, but im unsure if thats standard.

any help would help me out alot.

thanks

chris

Bose sub means you have a Bose system. You'll also find a small amp in the drivers side cubbyhole in the boot which drives the cabin speakers.
Integrating an aftermarket HU with the Bose system is fraught with problems (mainly ***** sound, popping & interference), and personally I'd go back to the dealer and tell them you want a proper Audi HU or better still a Becker Grand Prix which interfaces perfectly with the Audi wiring (just one wire on the loom that needs to be relocated), does not suffer the popping problem and is far superior to the Matsushita crap Audi use and will also play mp3's and has a proper AUX in for iPOD etc.
http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP7992_becker-grand-prix-7992-cdmp3wma-tuner.html
If you do want to try and make the Sony work then all you need is the PC9-410 adapter which takes the front & rear RCA pre-outs from the Sony and allows them to be plugged into the feed to the Bose amps, but it's more than likely that you'll get popping everytime you change CD track or switch from radio to CD etc.
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...g-harness-adaptor-iso-lead-819865-385086-.php
You'll also need a fascia plate and an antenna amp adapter.
TBH for the cost and poor result you'd be better off getting a Concert on ebay, don't think you can use a Concert2 as it was only fitted to later CANBUS enabled A3's. If you want a Concert2 then be prepared to fork out another £50 for a CANBUS emulator, otherwise you'll be stuck with the HU turning itself off every 60 minutes.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8074.html

sir you are a gentleman and a scholar.

i think im just going to buy a replacement for what was there in the first place. just had a look in the boot and also the CD changer cassette is missing so ill have to find one of them from somewhere. im guessing its a panasonic one. am i right? should be too hard to get hold of.

now for the hunt on ebay. ill keep you posted. sony mp3 wma cd player brand new going if anyone wants it.

Yes the Audi changer is Matsushita which is ultimately Panasonic. So that's fairly good news as the changer wouldn't work with the Sony anyway, and at least you'll be able to play CD's when you fit a Concert (which is radio-cassette).
There is also the dreaded volume issue to be aware of when buying the Concert, so you may be better buying one from Stafford Audi, who guarantee the design flaw is fixed and give you a warranty.

Yes the Audi changer is Matsushita which is ultimately Panasonic. So that's fairly good news as the changer wouldn't work with the Sony anyway, and at least you'll be able to play CD's when you fit a Concert (which is radio-cassette).
There is also the dreaded volume issue to be aware of when buying the Concert, so you may be better buying one from Stafford Audi, who guarantee the design flaw is fixed and give you a warranty.

going to sound silly but if i were to fit a concert 2, would it still work as it should do in my car..... you say that it would swich off after an hour, would it reset all settings or jump simply turn off. i dont really mind if all i have to do is just turn it back on again. and im never in my car for longer then an hour these days anyway.

thanks again for your help, probably wont want to here this. but......

i went into my local car audi shop. and they were taking apart a demo display, that had a pc084567858282 thingy lead you mentioned. asked if i could try it in my car, and it worked a treat, he then sold it to me for a tenner. i get no pops, the sounds pretty good to be honest, but sometimes there is a high pitched whine. if i turn the head unit off and then on again it goes away. but to be honest if the volume is up, i cant hear it. i thought "f_ck it" its only a tenner and if i can put up with the head unit ive got for a month or so ill just look around for the audi hu, when i get some money in.

Concert2 would work fine just manual turn on/off, no illumination dimming with headlights, no DIS interface and 1 hour turn off. The 1 hour turn off doesn't reset anything it's just to prevent draining the battery if you want to listen to the radio without the keys in the ignition.