What headunit? Want something new

AndymacA4

Reaction score
I have a 2001 A4 with a double din Symphony Headunit. Its fine, but it isn't exciting. I want a unit which can play mp3 CDs, and hook up to an ipod or mp3 player while also showing info on the DIS display.

I have looked at some LCD touchscreen options, like this

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?...=cat&userid=&gclid=CNXz5uaayZoCFYiD3gode3tbSA

I have seen a few of these kicking about at around the £300 mark. They look really good. I want to use a good powerful HU to power 8 new door speakers. I think this should have plenty of power for that. I don't have my stereo on loud, but my existing rear amplifier is shot to bits and barely drived the rear speakers and sub. I'll probably then add a small powered sub enclosure either in the boot or a self contained job under the front passenger seat.

Any views, opinions, or alternative options welcomed.

I don't have steering wheel controls so they aren't an issue, nor do I have an external CD changer to worry about.

All sounds good apart from the sub under the seat, which is pretty much next to pointless. Also you won't get DIS info, but no biggy really when you've got a **** off screen showing everything just a few inches to the left!

So, would I expect any problems installing a double din DVD player/screen in the dash?

Is there any problem with depth into the dash?

I'm thinking about just plugging a new HU into the existing wiring. I assume it is standard Euro DIN plugs back there?

Would the new stereo initially run through the existing amp and speakers allowing me to upgrade in due course?

Ta

Standard depth so shouldn't be a problem. The front speakers are on a standard ISO harness, but there's no rears wired on the plug. You can't connect the rears without an adapter to take your rear RCA's down to the non standard mini ISO connector which feeds the rear amp. So rewiring them direct to the HU is a far better option, you can pick the rears up from the Audi amp rather than having to strip the doors.

Sounds like a plan.

Will look into it some more.

Cheers

Andy