2007 RNS-e

just017

Reaction score
Ok i have a 2007 RNS-e on its way in the post with all cables needed (apparently) but just a few questions:

1. Curretly i have the Audi Bose speakers etc, im assuming the RNS-e is compatible?

2. I have downloaded the 2009 rns-e maps but have read that not all DVD drives are able to burn the file to a disc, does anyone know what drives are able to and why this is? ie image burning parameters etc?

All Audi HU's are the same, i.e. they're all compatible with either Bose or non Bose, as there's no difference between one for a Bose equipped car and one for non Bose. The wiring on the car dictates whether you get a flat Bose EQ or a smiley face non-Bose EQ from the HU. Obviously the additional Bose amp and speakers then take over. The only cosmetic difference is whether the HU displays Bose or not when you turn it on. This is set via VAGCOM and has nothing to do with whether you have Bose or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong Andy but its possible you may have to move a wire if you have Bose as some of the adapters dont move the Bose pin or wired incorrectly as mine was from kufatec year or so ago, just check your pins tbh when you come to fit, make sure its all in correct locations as such.

Also RNS doesnt show Bose in display, so its upto you to check coding & pins are correctly wired, personally didnt notice much difference bose on/off, even though I know the Andy cant stand Bose, lol.

I dont advise how to do the counterfeit dvd's, but I can advise on some info for the drive which isnt illegal as its a drive feature, the dvd drive must be able to set the booktype to dvdrom when backing up your dvd's or the drive wont see it as an original dvd, it will see it as a dvd-r etc, it knows then its not original, thus wont load.

Not many writers have the booktype feature, but most Pioneers have a default writing feature that all dvd's are written with booktype dvdrom, these have been known to work for backing up your dvd's.

You don't need any adapters so the Bose pin will be where it always was. As said "Bose" on display is irrelevant - it's purely cosmetic and means nothing.

I know it's been said already, but you should be fine: my 2001 A4's Symphony+BOSE was upgraded to RNS-E (2008 hardware with 2009 DVD) and the Bose still works 100% :)

Shout (or search) if u need some tips on MP3 cards - I've got most of it sussed and keen to share info once you're up and running (4Gb SD cards, recommended software, etc) as I'm having some niggles with filename formats.

EDIT: Same as NHN: I can advise that when backing up your DVD, most drives do NOT work (none of my 3 different NEC DVDRW's works :( ), but I've heard good things about Pioneers..... I've just taken an image of mine (which I HOPE works, if I ever need it) and I'll cross the "writing back" thing if I need to later, but once in the disc tends to stay there forever (music via SD card / CD-stacker).

You don't need any adapters so the Bose pin will be where it always was. As said "Bose" on display is irrelevant - it's purely cosmetic and means nothing.

Ah yes you're right cause all cars did swap to double din anyway so would be quadlock connector already.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. So the Symphony to RNS-e is straight swap no coding required (i think anyway, i have been told the car was alredy set up for the RNS-e as it has had the nav unit in it before).

And the main problem with burning is being able to set a booktype.

Anyone with a 'back-up' disc want to send me a PM:)

Actually Just017 has not said which car this is going into. New cars with Qualdlock do need the BOSE pin moving from B5 to B7.

Also if it is an A4 with Quadlock it will need the K-line moving from C7 to B5

On older cars providing he has been supplied the right harness then no mods will be required. One to watch out for is the extra TEL Mute cable being shorted to ground on the power harness resulting in no Sound.

Its a 2007 unit going into a 55 reg A3.

thanks for the replies

Is your A3 double din so we can all be sure, lol, cause 1st I was right, then wrong now right, I just wanna be rightttttttttttttttttt, lol, nah seriously so we can offer sound advice, excuse the pun.

Also Craig you notice when bluetooth installed the mute pin is actually disabled for use, was chatting to Dave about this last year as I wanted to use it for a reverse mute mod, couldnt do given mute pin didnt work, but whats strange is the mute pin is enabled when the phone is signalled to be in use then its grounded, so obviously its a can signal on system to enable the pin then the btooth module seems to stick a ground on it, or something like that, did tests while ago so might be round wrong way but I know it doesnt work for sure when phone fitted.

Sorry didnt see that post, any ideas on the mute pin cause even Dave was confused, we were debating whether to ask Mr Cangate if he could add a command/setting for this so could install one & use this for my mod, didnt get much further.

Yup as said its double din.

Thanks for help peeps

To enable booktype on many of the pioneer drives you'll need to flash it with some custom firmware. If you google booktype you'll find the info you need.