A6 MMI Options

charlie_kerr

Reaction score
Hi, I will soon take delivery of an A6 SE with what I believe to be the basic MMI unit (screen embedded in dash, controls in centre consul) with a single CD box in the glove box.

What upgrade options are available without major surgery?

Can I fit my Phatbox in place of the CD unit?
Can I fit my Parrot 3100 easily?

Any suggestions, tips or tricks greatly appreciated. :sm4:

Please check out my old A6 in the classifieds.:blackrs4:

Phatbox is not compatible at all. It uses the CD changer interface which doesn't exist in the A6 MMI. You can add either another 6 CD changer with MP3 capability or a Dension gateway 500 and an Ipod or memory stick.

You can fit your parrot as there is a mute pin on the back of the CD/Radio unit. Not a 100% certain if there is a TEL+/TEL- connection for the speaker at all, I would have to check.

The current CD/Radio is a single disc unit, if the MMI does not have a changer interface can I fit a 6 disc unit?

Yes you can as the MMI uses a daisy chain of fiber optic devices, the spec allows 4 media devices, although Audi only use 2 if them currenty on MMI 2G, so the CD/Radio is one device and the 6 CD is another. It will appear as 7 CD's in the MMI.

But adding the 6 CD is not as simple as it appears, when installing a new CD changer it will go into antitheft mode, known as Component Protection, this will cuase the CD changer to skip every 2 secs. This has to be cleared by a dealer online to germany.

Secondly, if you add a 6 CD with MP3 capability, your MMI has to be upto date enough to support the new CD capabilites.

6 CD changers are as follows

4E0 035 111 x non MP3 capable
4E0 035 110 x MP3/CD capable device

Won't the A6 will take an RNS-E and then you can keep the Glovebox CD and then you'll have SatNav PLUS the 8Gb of MP3's via the two SD card slots?