JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Need advice on which Audi CD Changer I need to buy

I have a 2000 Audi A4 TDi with the Concert Cassette Player. It does have the wiring for a CD Changer (a round male-end plug in the boot, passenger side), and I'm looking for a factory spec cd changer to fit there. I did try a mate's Audi CD Changer in there, which was marginally wider than the slot in the cage/cradle, and also the round plug was diferent. The plug on my car is the Male end.

Any advice on what to look for on ebay etc greatly appreciated.

(by the way, I don't do MP3 and Ipod... before people suggest that!)

Many thanks

Impster

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Are you sure it's the male end? There are only 2 types of changer, both plug into a female socket in the car. Most have a round plug with a square array of 10 pins, yours should be the earlier type ith a circular aray of 8 pins to take a changer like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-a4-a6-6-d...1%7C240%3A1318
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    The plug in my car looks exactly like that one - therefore i need a changer with the opposite end of the one pictured in the ebay listing.

Confusion?

Neutral

Status
    I'm told that the one I need is 4B0 035 111 A

Like this one:
    Click to see one on ebay

This looks to have the corresponding plug.

Worth buying at that price?

Last edited by impster; 24th April 2009 at 12:13.

Status
    Told by who? Some idiot that obviously can't count. That's a 13 pin model (only 10 of which are used) as already mentioned. You need the 8 pin model. All the plugs look the same from a distance.
    Are you sure you don't have some sort of adapter on yours that's changing what should be female into male? Very unlikely that they'd leave live 12v kicking about in the boot unprotected.
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    I got back in touch with 'some idiot' who apparently can't count (local VAG approved mechanic/technician).

He said again that the one I need is part number 4B0 035 111 A, as he previously suggested. He also told me there's 2 ways of describing male/female ends of multiplugs (i.e. either/or depending on which bit/bits you describe as the male/female parts...).

Quick question for you AndyMac, why do you say that my car would need the 8 pin model? I can see 10 pins in the connector at the boot? Should 2 of them be unconnected or something.

Sorry if I seem a bit slow on the uptake but I've only had the car a week or so - my first VAG car.

Edit: 2 images of the connector in question:

Status
    As far as I'm aware there are only 2 different models, a 13 pin (only 10 pins populated) which is the most common. The connector is round but the pins are arranged in a square configuration as shown here.

This is the one in your ebay link.
    The other is the older & rarer type and is 8 pin in a circular arrangement as per my link, which is what I assumed you have as you said it looked exactly like the plug you have. Never come across a 10 pin in a circular config.
    There is only one way of describing male/female connectors and if your VAG tech thinks differently then I suggest he talks to his parents or looks down the front of his pants. It's not rocket science!
    Can't tell from your pic whether those pins are in a circular or square arrangement, but if there's 10 then it's likely it is the changer in your link that you need.
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info. Having checked the pic it looks as if the one I need is the one in the photo/diagram you've put up - ie. round plug but pins arranged in the square configuration.

As for the VAG technician, well, so far he's given me advice that's 100% spot on, so I'll hold off with any criticisms for the time being.

Thanks.

Neutral

Status
    Got the kit I needed - it fits and it works!

Many thanks for the advice!

Impster