Phatbox location help please

wingdiver

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi
I have a 2004 A3 3 door.
I have only ever seen pictures of installations of a Phatbox in the boot and in the glove box.
As I tend to carry a lot of guitar gear/amps etc in my A3 boot I don't want to surface install in there for fear of damaging it.
The side panels are one piece (unlike my old A3 which had removable covers a the top) so there is no obvious home for it there.
The glove box install seems to require the rear of the glove box to be cut open to allow the body of the Phatbox to be recessed otherwise it would hit the door - but I don't really want to damage the glove box unnecessarily. This seems to be the case even if the aluminium cover is removed/replaced or adapted (wings removed).
The front seats in my A3 have flaps which pull down and storage is behind but its a kind of triangular section along the length and I can't see the stripped down Phatbox going in there.
I've even considered the spare wheel area but wouldn't want to be without the tools/jack etc.
Anyone got any (clean!) thoughts as to a suitable location for the Phatbox?
Am I wrong in my assumptions about the glove box install or would it fit without a big hole in the back (a hole for the cable I can cope with).

Hi WingDiver,

I'm currently musing over the same thing myself.

I haven't seen it done before but how about the underside of the parcel shelf?

It could definitely be done quite neatly. I think there's even an OEM unit that can be bought that goes under the shelf and has various cubby holes in it. Could be perfect...

Not a bad bit of kit but, to be honest, the likely cost of that would make it better to buy a replacement glove box interior to fit it into and keep the original for when the car gets sold.