8l front speakers inop and cd changer error?

markyR

Reaction score
hi all i've just bought a 99 a3 and the front speakers dont work nor the tweeters also the cd changer comes up with cd error when it tries to read a disc. just wandered are these problems related or are they both broken i am going to be changing the hu soon as i have a faulty volume button.was thinking of testing if it has got power to the speakers to start with,it has a symphony hu standard by the way. any help much appeciated.

cheers mark.

sorry standard hu is a concert one cheers mark.

Do the rears & sub still work?
Chances are the volume issue has blown the internal amp inside the HU (which drives the fronts on the stock non Bose system).
The Cd problem is unrelated, have you tried a lens cleaner?

ah right thats not too bad then as i'm replacing it soon, might try a cleaner untill i get my new hu, also do you know if i need a iso adapter aswell as a facia to run a new hu? think mine is not a bose system as i cant see an amp or bose logo's anywhere so should be ok about the popping issue.
thanks for the help.
cheers mark

cheers for that, so i would ideally need a new amp and sub.i'm guessing that the standard hu amp contribues to the rear speakers and sub then?

cheers mark.

No you just have 2 x 50w on your new HU going to the fronts and a very puny 2 x 20w from the rear amp going to the rears and 1 x 50w for the sub.
Best option is to rewire the rears directly to the new HU and then replace the sub with a stealth unit or a traditional boot hogger, with a proper amp.

ah right, cheers for the help bud much appreciated.

cheers mark.

hi andy you said to order this part for my new hu i'm buying Autoleads PC9-404 Audi Wiring Harness Adaptor ISO Lead. but when ordering up my stereo from another site i can choose this one for non bose which i think my system is. PC9401 or if i choose the vehicle fitment guide on the site then they reccomned PC9408. Then today i go into halfords just to ask and they said to buy pc552 which can apparently do bose and non bose.

i'm just unsure what to order now can you help.thanks mark.

Just get the cheapest one, they are all identical, just some come with both front & rear RCA's and the 404 just has rear (which is all you need). the fitment guides are pretty much all pants - they all get it wrong and some will steer you to the dreaded hi-lo converter option which is abysmal, 3 times the price and unnecessary.

Just get the cheapest one, they are all identical, just some come with both front & rear RCA's and the 404 just has rear (which is all you need). the fitment guides are pretty much all pants - they all get it wrong and some will steer you to the dreaded hi-lo converter option which is abysmal, 3 times the price and unnecessary.