Aftermarket Headunit for Audi. - Which one?

Luuc

Reaction score
I'm looking for a CD headunit to replace my current audi unit. I was wondering whether someone had any advice or knew any good ones that satisfy the following criteria:

- Pre-outs with voltage of 4v.
- Rotary dial for volume
- Similar colour as Audi dash (black plastic with red-ish lighting)
- Around 150 quid.

Does anyone know of any quality ones? There's a couple Blaupunkt ones that fit the bill but I tried a CD52 a while ago and was a little disappointed by the radio quality, and the fact that the CD mechanism broke after a 4hr drive. Was I unlucky or are they generally poor quality? Also, what's the cheap Blaupunkt DAB tuner like with the glass mounted aerial? Is it worth it or will it cause me more annoyance with the switching between digital and FM.

Thanks for the information guys. Excellent as always.

The 9827rr looks very nice but I'm a little concerned about the 2v pre-out. Have you tried installing it in an Audi at all? It's just the 2v sony I had didn't like either 404 or 401 connectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hey Luuc you need one of my stealth subs then you don't have to worry about the feeble Audi wiring. It's nothing but trouble and will only compromise your install.

Here's the obligatory "what stealth sub?" question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is this stealth sub easy and quick to fit? And probably more importantly for me, is it going to cost an arm and a leg. I guess if it solves the whole Audi wiring adaptor crap then I could use my sony mp40 unit to save me some cash, even though that headunit is dodgy quality and has no rotary dial.

Sorry I thought everyone knew about my infamous stealth sub.
Yes it is relatively easy to fit, but no it's certainly not quick (takes about 4 to 5 hours).
It involves installing a 300w amp (behind the rear speaker panel), 40amp power cable to battery, and removing the tupperware box and installing a custom made 18mm MDF enclosure housing a 6.5" JL Audio sub.
However, on the up side, it is a major major upgrade in terms of sound quality. It allows you to run the HU at -2 bass thus relieving the cabin speakers of a task they are just not up to, while providing a level of thump that just doesn't seem possible from such a small piece of kit.
I can supply the whole kit with comprehensiveev instructions. If you just want the sub enclosure (finished in satin black with wadding and gold speaker terminals) I can supply one for £70 + £10 P&P.
The JL Audio sub is £85 and I have a stock of these so can fit and test before shipping.
You would then need a suitable 2 channel or mono amp (200w RMS) & power cable. I use Alpine MRV-T505's or similar sourced off ebay for about £70-£90.ie
Do a search under stealth sub for some "rave reviews".
Cheers, Andy

No they're sealed. The enclosure is way too small for a port. In fact it's way too small full stop according to all the calculations, but pump enough power through it and it really sings. The SPL created inside the box is incredible. I had a tiny leak on one of my first prototypes where I'd stupidly fed the speaker wires through and it was amazing how much leakage there was. I now use proper speaker terminals. The box & sub weighs over 6Kg's and I have done a few using an 8" driver.
There was no science involved just knew the enclosure had to be rock solid to withstand the pressure. I use 18mm MDF with all the joins rebated for extra strength. The curve is 3 layers of 6mm bendy MDF with all the voids flooded with No More Nails.
It was actually a bit of a last resort after trying all manner of different things, but it just works so well. Those baby JL subs certainly are impressive.

my concert headunit has gone the journey so i'm thinkin i'm going to get an aftermarket headunit. I like the look of the alpine thats been mentioned in this post. Is it correct that you can connect a sony changer to an alpine headunit???

[ QUOTE ]
Adam_A3 said:
my concert headunit has gone the journey so i'm thinkin i'm going to get an aftermarket headunit. I like the look of the alpine thats been mentioned in this post. Is it correct that you can connect a sony changer to an alpine headunit???

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think you can, no.

[ QUOTE ]
DelBoyUK said:
I was thinking of this unit when I get my audi http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3176&taxonomy_id=25-121

I think it looks absolutely spot on, with no silly displays and apparently the sound is superb. Costs about £220

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely lovely unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

6v pre-outs IIRC too?

everyone who i know who has one has VERY good things to say about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you're interested theres someone on www.talkaudio.co.uk who has a used unit for sale, with only a few months use - have a look in the classifieds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I remember seeing that Pioneer unit in Halfords a while ago, and i was very tempted to buy it. No silly 'extreme' bass labels and bright lights, just a simple, functional quality unit.