A3 1996 some **** cut my wires

evilbow

Reaction score
Website
www.bonusbanter.com
can anyone help with what wires are what in my audi a3 1996, they've left the power leads intact with original plug. but have cut the plug of the speaker connection now i have a load of wires and unsure what each one is for what speaker. does anyone have or has posted a wire diagram for the speakers colour coded so i can try and attatch a connector plug to the bare wires :( apparently they did this as the cut big holes in my parcel shelve for 6x9s which is making my shelve sag now lol help would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks in advance!:yellowrs4: lol nearly same colour as mine to

It's not that straight forward, there are only 4 wires that are for speakers, as just the front speakers run directly off the HU. They'll be a whole bunch of other wires that feed the rear/sub amp which is inside the sub and feeds the rear speakers and sub.
On this loom you'll have rear right & left signals, screen and remote on. Do you still have the multi coloured 20 pin mini ISO plug (pictured below), if so is it intact or are the wires to the yellow section butchered?
AudiMiniISOblock.jpg

the only plugs i have is a black one i gather is the power lead the rest is just cut off and bare wires no other plugs there certainly no yellow one, thinking could be a job for auto elect but gonna cost me that eh

TBH you'd be far better off fitting a Becker Grand Prix HU (which looks totally stock, but far better) and rewiring the rears directly to it. The fronts shouldn't be too hard to figure out using an AA battery, the rears you can pick up from the red sub loom in the boot. The all you need is a feed to the sub, which again you can rewire with an RCA lead.
http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP7992_becker-grand-prix-7992-cdmp3wma-tuner.html
Here's the pin out of the red sub plug, which might give you a clue on the wiring colours, but not sure if they are the same all the way to the HU:
A3subloompinouts.jpg

Whereabouts are you? I'd be glad to help if you can get down to Southampton.

many thanks for your advice andy, just been out investigating and i have the sub box in passenger side rear quarter, so have emailed a guy on ebay who is breaking a a3 and he is going to send me the original plugs with few inches of wire for £10 and i can restore the audi plugs easily with them. thanks for offer of help to but i'm in glasgow lol. the HU you sent me link for looks great think better of spending the extra 50quid for that than the original saudi one i was gonna buy!:icon_thumright::kissmyrings::yellowrs4:

Yes definately, the Becker also uses the same connections as the stock Audi HU's so you shouldn't need any fitting adapters other than the usual facia plate.