Autoleads PC9-404 For A3

Markb

Reaction score
Will this adaptor allow me to change to an after market head unit and still run the Sub and amp off the original system?

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Depends if you've got Bose or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I tell this?

Should it say this on the head unit itself?

As I thought mine was Boose, but it says "Audi Concert" on it.

Cheers for your help.

I've probably answered my own question their LOL

If you could tell me which lead/adaptor set I require that would be excellent.

If it's Bose it will say Bose on the display when you turn it on, also the Bose sub woofer will have two 4" speakers rather than one 6.5" driver.
All Concert HU's have front & rear pre-outs, but only the Bose system use all of them, the non Bose only use the rears.

Ah right it's not Boose then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Never mind.

The stereo I want to install is an Alpine CDA-9185RB (3 * Pre outs)

Which adaptor do I require with the Audi Concert unit and the Alpine after market unit?

Cheers.

No, the audi HU pushes out a very low pre-out signal, less than 1v. I've installed a number of stealth subs using the OEM setup and you have to really jack up the gain to get the level right. So any aftermarket HU should be an improvement. Rewiring the rears directly to the HU is the easiest way round this problem, as the rear amp in the A3 is a feeble piece of crap anyway, and it's used to drive the so called sub as well. If you are running speaker leads front to rear you may want to run an RCA lead at the same time which you can use for the Alpine amp/sub. You will need the Blaupunkt RCA adapter lead which allows standard RCA's to plug into the HU (front & rear) and also gives you the remote on lead from the HU. Or you can just tap into the existing sub loom (pin outs shown below)

thanks andy, I have just re-wired the rears directly to the back of the JVC HU, and run new RCA's like you suggested, but the sub is just kicking out some pathetic distortion (even at low volumes) is this do to differnt OHMMs? I was using the origianl sub, but now picking up an alpine 8" tomorrow.
don't need the adaptor as HU has pre-uts
Thanks fella!

PS the fronts (N/S/F in particular) are giving bottom end distortion even at low levels - I think they're screwed - any good/cheap replacements known?

If you were using the original sub then pathetic distortion is about all it's good for. So the Alpine 8" presumably has it's own amp? This will sort the problem out as you'll be feeding it directly from the RCA's, so no adapter/audi wiring problems.

Pioneer used to do custom fit 4" components with separate tweeters for about £65, but I think they've stopped doing them now. You can fit any 13cm components in the fronts, you'll just need the fitting adapter, all the good retailers sell them.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=479

Make sure you get components with a 1" tweeter, as this will then fit in the original tweeter location.
These Kenwoods will do the job for £50
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=411&tab=2
Cheers, Andy

Andy; you're a star!! thanks mate.

yeah the amp is a seperate alpine unit, and I'm going to fit the new sub into the existing enclosure - I might even seal it to get a tighter sound (will that work?)
think I'll be going for those kenwoods next payday!!

thanks again

dave

for some dull reason I exected that enclosure to accept an 8"!!! goign to attempt making an enclosure to house an 8" sub, is it that hard? or just time taking and awkward?

thanks again for your advice

bought the autoleads adaptor that doesnt have the RCA leads just the standard speaker wiring, but i'm only getting sound through the front speakers?

The rears have their own amp, which is why you need the adapter with RCA leads. Or you can run new speaker cable from the new HU to the rears, but then you will lose the "sub".

Best to plug it into the rear pre-outs otherwise you'll lose the fader. If you upgraded to one of my stealth subs, then you could use the rear pre-outs and the sub out and have independent control of the sub volume. But this isn't worth doing with the standard "sub".

ok, i fitted over £2500 of ICE in my a3 r reg the other day. your pre-outs on jvc should be at least about 3-4v. so connect from the non fading to the amp, the a sub to that amp. in terms of ohms, sub and amp have to be the same, ie both 4ohms or both 2ohms, u cant have both different or it could fry your equipment. sorry, i probably didnt read everything thoroughly, but are u planing on just upgrading the existing sub? if u r then dont bother, u r much better off buying say a 12" sub, will sound much better. on my 1.6, the HU connections were standard ISO anyway, so made connecting much easier. yours should b the same. although your head unit may not be iso, my kenwood one wasnt, so u have to have a adapter 2 turn your head unit into iso as well. i am running my rear speakers off the HU, which is 4 x 45 watts and 4v, so more then powerful enough. my front components are running off a amp. if u have a decent sub/amp, then u shouldnt need to turn the gain on the amp more then a 1/4 way up to get it thumping, if u do then somethings wrong. u can get a good 12" sub and amp for under £300. i would recommend a alpine type R sub, i have 2 of those and they are the best ones at that price level.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
if u have a decent sub/amp, then u shouldnt need to turn the gain on the amp more then a 1/4 way up to get it thumping, if u do then somethings wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

having a decent HU has nothing to do with it, it all depends on the output voltage of the HU, even high spec units can have a low output voltage - heck some amps dont like anything over 2v input

be very careful when adjusting gains as clip (a square wave) will see off speakers very quickly, dont get the gain control confused with a volume control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

clip is easy to hear on comps etc but on subs it can be hard to distinguish

if you want to set up your amps to their most efficient then have a read up on getting them scoped, or find someone who can do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dean,
thats exactly wot i said about gain just in different words. and in regards preout, yes most good hu's i.e over around £230 WILL, with the odd exception, have at least about 3v-4v preout. a lot of the top ones now have around 6v as well. whereas if u buy a cheap £100 hu then it will probably not be more then about 2.5v. also, considering you really have to have a decent preout voltage to have a really good sounding setup, your amp would have to take over 3 or 4v. if it doesnt like more then 2v, then again the amp can't really be anywhere near top end or even mid range quality, becuase all mid-top range amps will handle even the highest voltages, as i said currently about 6.5 on a pioneer HU.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
also, considering you really have to have a decent preout voltage to have a really good sounding setup, your amp would have to take over 3 or 4v. if it doesnt like more then 2v, then again the amp can't really be anywhere near top end or even mid range quality, becuase all mid-top range amps will handle even the highest voltages, as i said currently about 6.5 on a pioneer HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry mate you're wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can have a HU with a low output and still have an extremely good sounding set-up

its all about install /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

and there are high end amps which dont like a high input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

apologies if the earlier post came about a bit harsh, just seemed to me it wasn't telling the whole story, amps can clip even at a quarter gain, which is the point i was trying to make /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dean how do you do it? How can you stay so polite with this Pimp guy? he makes me smile every time I read his posts.

Chokboywonda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

yea u make me smile by the fact u been on here a few days and u think u know what your talking about and are able to make assumptions about me.

[ QUOTE ]
chokboywonda said:
Dean how do you do it? How can you stay so polite with this Pimp guy? he makes me smile every time I read his posts.

Chokboywonda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone has to learn at some point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if everyone who popped up who had been given bad advice in the past and people shot them down, everyone would be scared to ask for help/advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

people have taken the time to help me in the past so im more than happy to pass what i have learned on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif