Phatnoise

P3ety

Reaction score
Hi all...

I own a 2006 Audi A4 2.0TDI S line. I have installed the single cd Concert head unit, with no cd changer. Its driving me insane with all the cd swapping so was going to invest in a changer when i came across the Phatbox....
I am really interested in getting one of these wacked in the boot, or the glovebox, whichever u guys suggest is easiest....
First of all id like to know whether any of u guys wud recommend the phatbox for my circumstances, and also wud it be compatible with my headunit....what leads would i need...etc...
Also where wud be the best place to start looking for one....??...e bay???

Thanks in advance chaps!:arco:

Last weekend I ordered a B8 A4 and hence my B6 S4 is going. I've also learnt that it won't support my beloved Phatbox.

I have it in the glovebox exactly where the factory 6cd was. To fit it in there I simply removed the massive aluminium housing. Many others have done the same so I wasn't going into the unknown. I've put an 80Gb drive in my cartridge and it all works really well.

Although many will say do the iPod thing, the advantage of the Phatbox is that you can change tracks, albums, genres, etc etc without taking your eyes off the road as it speaks the information to you.

With regards to where to look for one..... you've just found one! :arco:

If you're interested drop me a line ;)

Hi to both of you,
firstly I would thouroughly recomend a phatnoise, especially if you are confident enough to hack it up to a larger hard drive (I have done it and it was surprisingly easy, as it only has a 20gb drive as standard).

Secondly, I was told that my Phatnoise would not be surported with the concert III, however, it works just fine, so maybe just a case of having a play round with it in your B8 A4.

Other than scotty, best place to look is e-bay.

Ok so ive taken my stereo out and the plug that im assuming shud go to a cd changer hasnt got any wires coming out of one side of the block..

Can anyone advise me on this.....I have attached the pic...

Thanks

That looks about right. I would double check the connections exist under the plug before venturing futher. As from what I have read they are for the bose versions.
connectors.gif

Not Bose

multi - pin connector I, 20 - pin
1- Line out, rear left
2- Line out, rear right
3- Audio frequency Ground
4- Line out, front left
5- Line out, front right
6- Switched positive supply for active loudspeakers
8- Clock signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
9- Data signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
10- Enable signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
11- Remote control (steering wheel)

Multi - pin connector II, 8 - pin, brown
3- Loudspeaker (+) front right
4- Loudspeaker (-) front right
5- Loudspeaker (+) front left
6- Loudspeaker (-) front left

Multi - pin connector III, 8 - pin, black
1- GALA (road speed signal)
2- Telephone muting
3- K diagnostic
4- Connection for switching on and off via ignition key (S contact), terminal 86s
5- Switched positive supply for power antenna
6- Switch illumination (terminal 58s)
7- Terminal 308- Ground (terminal 31)

Multi - pin connector IV, 10 - pin, red
1- Telephone muting
2- Terminal 15 (only on vehicles with navigation system)
3- Telephone (audio frequency +)
4- Telephone (audio frequency -)
5- Navigation system (audio frequency +)
6- Navigation system (audio frequency -)
7- Navigation system control wire
9- Display illumination (terminal 58d)
10- CD Ground (CD GND)

BOSE

Multi - pin connector I, 20 - pin
1- Line out, rear left
2- Line out, rear right
3- Audio frequency Ground
4- Line out, front left
5- Line out, front right
6- Switched positive supply
8- Clock signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
9- Data signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
10- Enable signal for radio frequency display on instrument cluster
11- Remote control (steering wheel)
13- Data - in signal for CD display on instrument cluster
14- Data - out signal for CD display on instrument cluster
15- Clock signal for CD display on instrument cluster
16- Permanent positive connection
17- Switched positive supply for CD changer
18- Ground connection for CD changer (CD audio frequencies, Ground)
19- Signal wire for left channel (CD audio frequencies, left)
20- Signal wire for right channel (CD audio frequencies, right)

Multi - pin connector II, 8 - pin, brown
3- Loudspeaker (+) front right
4- Loudspeaker (-) front right
5- Loudspeaker (+) front left
6- Loudspeaker (-) front left

Multi - pin connector III, 8 - pin, black
1- GALA (road speed signal)
2- Telephone muting
3- K diagnostic
4- Connection for switching on and off via ignition key (S contact), terminal 86s
5- Switched positive supply for power antenna
6- Switch illumination (terminal 58s)
7- Terminal 308- Ground (terminal 31)

Multi - pin connector IV, 10 - pin, red
1- Telephone muting
2- Terminal 15 (only on vehicles with navigation system)
3- Telephone (audio frequency +)
4- Telephone (audio frequency -)
5- Navigation system (audio frequency +)
6- Navigation system (audio frequency -)
7- Navigation system control wire
9- Display illumination (terminal 58d)
10- CD Ground (CD GND)

Nice one!

Ill check under the plug tomorrow for the appropriate pins....

Thanks again....

Right just had a gander. Took the top plug off labeled I on the diagram which is the one im interested in and all the pins are there present and correct. So now i just need the cable!:yahoo:

Hi to both of you,
firstly I would thouroughly recomend a phatnoise, especially if you are confident enough to hack it up to a larger hard drive (I have done it and it was surprisingly easy, as it only has a 20gb drive as standard).

Secondly, I was told that my Phatnoise would not be surported with the concert III, however, it works just fine, so maybe just a case of having a play round with it in your B8 A4.

Other than scotty, best place to look is e-bay.

Mine's already up to 80Gb ;)

Very interesting about it working in the B8. Where have you placed it? How did you connect it? Isn't a little tricky to remove the head units on the B8? I'm getting the Symphony which had multiCD - do you know if it would actually work?

Cheers

Apparently its a Concert Stereo, and seen a picture of the back, looks like the same pin out that is on the COncert III, but I suggest you cross check with this http://elsegra.com/Car pinouts/Audi.htm
Maybe worth a go and see if the cable fits and works. As I said, everything i read on mine said it would not be compatible, but it was.
If you can fit an old Audi CD changer to the stereo then you can fit the phatnoise

Great link. I guess it will be trial and error eventually however with 6CD, iPod and USB on my new one I probably won't need to try. Depends on whether I sell it in the mean time.

You may like this link : http://www.ipswich-audi.co.uk/parts_and_accessories/infotainment/Audi Infotainment.pdf

Since I last posted I've changed my spec to include the SatNav and the "MMI high" included 6CD.

On page 28 it suggests a MultiCD and hence a the Phatbox could be retro-fitted but since it comes with a MultiCD head unit maybe that uses the pins :ermm: