wiring problems

jadeda3

Reaction score
hi, have tried to change my head unit today, but cannot get it to work, i need to know what colour each wire is, so that i can make sure i am wiring the wires up correctly, thanks. :arco:

Maybe a little more info like which car, year, old head unit brand, year & new head unit brand year along with part numbers if audi

For info the concerts etc audi units have the wiring schematic layout etc on top of the radio anyway so you can pin to pin if need be.

If it's a old shape A3 (8L chassis) then the only wiring needed is to swap over the perm live & ignition on live as Audi wire them back to front. This won't prevent the unit working, it just means you'll lose all your presets everytime you trun off the ignition.
If it's the non Bose system then you'll need a wiring adapter to provide the feed to the rear amp & sub. The fronts are on a standard brown ISO speaker plug so should plug straight in to the new HU. If it's the Bose system then you'll need the same adapter to feed front & rear channels to the Bose amp as all cabin speakers and sub run off seperate amps. However you may experience really annoying loud pops when changing CD tracks, this is normal when trying to link up the Bose amp to industry standard RCA's.

Sorry , missis didnt add enough info , we have a 97 a3 sport with the boss set up , Ive wired everything in , But haveing problems with wireing my remote cable in because i didnt know till i read the reply from andy about the 12v and live being wired incorrect . so which wires do i have to swap . at the mom i have my yellow and red coming of the red wire from the car block .
And is their any way i can wire up the disc changer into a after market head unit

regards Kev&jade:sos:

The yellow wire on the HU (perm live) needs to go to the red wire with white stripe on the Audi loom, the red wire on the HU (switched live) needs to go to the yellow with red stripe on the Audi loom (3rd along from the fat brown ground wire).
This won't effect whether the unit works or not, just provide ignition on/off when you pull the keys out, rather than having to manually switch the HU off.
Have you wired up the flying lead on the RCA adapter to your remote on/power antenna lead on the HU?
This is the trigger to turn on the Bose amps, so without it the system will not work.
The changer won't work with anything other than an Audi HU.

ok, new problem now, when the hu switches on, there is a "pulse" "pop" which ever you like to say from the rear speakers, does anyone know why this is? or how i can stop this? as am woried it will blow the speakers as it is very loud. thanks.