Connecting aftermarket sub and amp to my factory head unit

m_ozzy_h

Reaction score
hi guys....

i am new to this forum. i recently got a 2002 Audi A3 1.9TDI. It currently has the Bose Symphony 2 installed. I want to keep the headunit, but i want to put in the sub and amp that are sitting in my room.

i have been told that the factory bose system does not have RCA outputs in the back.... any body have any idea how i can do this...or what i will need ....

Thanks

Ozzy

All Audi HU's have front & rear pre-outs, but they aren't on standard RCA connectors. You can buy an adapter to give you RCA's but then you'd lose the feeds to the Bose amp for the cabin speakers. Easiest solution is to just tap the rear pre-outs & remote on at the Bose amp, diagram below & use this to feed the sub amp. Then all you need to run is power for the new amp. Alternatively you could disconnect the Bose sub and use that feed on the speaker input to the new amp but with slightly compromised quality.
B6-B7bose_amp_pinout_25pin-1.jpg

All Audi HU's have front & rear pre-outs, but they aren't on standard RCA connectors. You can buy an adapter to give you RCA's but then you'd lose the feeds to the Bose amp for the cabin speakers. Easiest solution is to just tap the rear pre-outs & remote on at the Bose amp, diagram below & use this to feed the sub amp. Then all you need to run is power for the new amp. Alternatively you could disconnect the Bose sub and use that feed on the speaker input to the new amp but with slightly compromised quality.
B6-B7bose_amp_pinout_25pin-1.jpg

cheers mate.... but i am having trouble locating this amp.... lol
:p

The Bose amp for the cabin speakers is down the side of the righthand cubbyhole in the boot. You have to release the boot trim to get proper access to it, but you should be able to unplug the loom through the cubbyhole opening.

The Bose amp for the cabin speakers is down the side of the righthand cubbyhole in the boot. You have to release the boot trim to get proper access to it, but you should be able to unplug the loom through the cubbyhole opening.

cheers mate.... slight change of plan...i have purchased a double din aftermarket DVD player touchscreen. Will i need a facia for this to fit....and which one do i need for a 2002 model A3. I have found one on ebay, but it says its for 2003 onwards...will this made a difference? also.. i want all the standard bose speakers to be connected to this aftermarket system. is this possible....

cheers

You'll have major problems connecting any aftermarket HU to the Bose system. It really does not like anything other than the stock Audi HU's. You will need an adapter harness to link to the Bose amps. There are 2 available. RCA input which is best for sound quality but will most likely give you the usual "popping" problem everytime you change tracks, or the speaker input adapter which uses a hi-lo converter to bring the speaker outputs back down to pre-out level, but is poor from an SQ point of view and can give you a generally noisey result.

You'll have major problems connecting any aftermarket HU to the Bose system. It really does not like anything other than the stock Audi HU's. You will need an adapter harness to link to the Bose amps. There are 2 available. RCA input which is best for sound quality but will most likely give you the usual "popping" problem everytime you change tracks, or the speaker input adapter which uses a hi-lo converter to bring the speaker outputs back down to pre-out level, but is poor from an SQ point of view and can give you a generally noisey result.

i dont mind if i cant use the Bose amp, as long as i can get wires for all the cabin speakers to the back so i can connect them to my own amp. can i bypass them from the back bose amp.... or not?

Yes, as per pinouts shown above, but they'll sound dreadful. They are "tuned" to the EQ built into the Bose amp so don't work well on aftermarket systems and they're 2 ohm impedance as well so ensure your amp is 2 ohm stable. Drop one of the rear speaker panels and have a look at the Bose "quality" on the 4" rear speakers. They are unbelievably poor. See below, and yes the speaker is the tiny bit in the middle, the rest is a plastic blanking plate:
A3Boserearspeaker.jpg

Yes, as per pinouts shown above, but they'll sound dreadful. They are "tuned" to the EQ built into the Bose amp so don't work well on aftermarket systems and they're 2 ohm impedance as well so ensure your amp is 2 ohm stable. Drop one of the rear speaker panels and have a look at the Bose "quality" on the 4" rear speakers. They are unbelievably poor. See below, and yes the speaker is the tiny bit in the middle, the rest is a plastic blanking plate:

ok... so would you suggest i change the speakers? or just change the front two speakers and not have any in the back?

i appreciate all ur help....:happy:

That would be my recommendation. The fronts are quite tricky to fit well, the autoleads adapter rings are hopeless, you'd be far better off making your own (send me a PM if you want the templates). You also need to get slim fitting components as you only have about 54mm depth to play with. Rainbow 230slx's are pretty decent.
Just buy some fairly cheap 6.5" coaxials for the rear. For £30 you can get something at least giving you the option of rear fill. Adapters for the rear are eay as they are just 18mm MDF rings.