Removing Concert 1 Radio Cassette

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I haven't got the correct audi keys but have got 1 side of the radio off. However the other side just won't unclip, I'm using a snapped coping saw blade. Can anyone suggest how to prise it out as I have tried but it won't budge. Also whereabout do the clips clip the headunit in?

Thanks.

Basically I have bought a Mstation MP3 Jukebox for £130 (£150 without student discount and £10 off voucher!). I only need to reach the aerial socket at the back of the radio to plug in a fm modulator (will get a proper changer rca input soon!). So is there any way you can reach the back of the stereo without removing it as the left hand side really does not seem as though it is going to budge even with the correct key! It is a '99 A4 pre facelift.

I had this problem, drove me up the wall, simple 10min job took 2 hours. If you don't use the Audi keys there is a chance you ****** up the spring clips. They are really feeble, only held on by a tiny pop rivet, and you can easily bend them out of shape, so that it is nearly impossible to unclip. Unfortunately you just have to persevere. I eventually got the stubborn side out by sliding a piece of hard plastic packing strapdown the side of the HU. If you double it over in a tight loop you can steer it round the tricky bends, (an old breaking into a car when you've locked yourself out trick).
Even with the correct keys it's not necessarily easy, sometimes the unit just pops out, othertimes it can take 20 minutes. Luckily I had another unit I could look at so I could see how the clips worked, this was a big help. Very annoying that Audi have to overcomplicate even the simplest mechanics.
Good Luck.

Thanks very mcuh for the help AndyMac! In the end I just took the drivers kick panel off and reached behind the head unit to get to the aerial! So it is all working now! Quite impressed with the mstation, highly reccommend it (especially for the price!). Just want to get an rca input now as there is a wee bit of metallic sounding resonance on the bass notes, but at the end of the day it is just an fm modulator so ain't going to be crystal!

You could pop round to your local dealer and ask the service desk pepes very nicely to release the HU, or you can buy a pair of keys on eBay for under a tenner - search for "Radio Tools" and make sure you get the right ones for your HU, I *think* you want a pair like these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3293&item=5702768769

As AndyMac says, the HU can still be a complete b*stard to release and requires the patience of a saint to do it with a firm but gentle hand so that you don't break the locking mechanism.

On the plus side I guess it also means that most car thieves are likely to keep on walking when they see an Audi HU grinning at them from the dashboard...

Mark.

Damn, I took too long writing that post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mark.

Most thieves are a bit more discerning. you could leave a Concert on the roof and it wouldn't get nicked.

@ajmackie - Yep. I have been told that I have more than a passing resemblance to him. My ex-g/f's m8 gave the me the nick-name and it stuck. I hasten to add that I've been called far worse things in my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

@AndyMac - True, very true indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mark.

A month has gone by and I'm still no closer to removing this head unit. I'm going to Abersoch, Wales for a week and need some quality tunes soon and i'm fed up with getting my ears blasted when i turn the volume the first time!!

Is there any last resort way of getting the head unit out? I've tried everything to reach the clips but I can't and they're definately knackered. I've tried pulling it, won't budge past them!! Can't push it as can't get behind it. Took headlight adjustor switch out to reach the clips but there is a plastic cover in the way.

I am desperate to get this valve relic out of my nice modern car!!! Can I pull the plastic panel off which surrounds the radio and the aircon etc and actually get to the clips? would hate to pull it off and then i still can't get the radio out!!!

Hey AJ, you seem to be ready for my patented "I hate this head unit" last resort removal technique.
I did post this somewhere on the forum, but can't find it now.
You need to prise off the front of the head unit, it's only clipped on. This will give you access to the metal frame behind and you'll be able to see what the problem is.
You may want to stick some gaffa tape around the aperture so that you don't scratch it.
Using a wide thin piece of metal, slide it between the aperture and the bottom of the HU's front panel, about a third of the way in. Lever it up so that it pulls the bottom of the front panel up. Do the same on the other side. You should now have the bottom of the front panel free. You may be able to lever the top off now, if not do the same to the top.
With the front panel off you'll be able to access the gaps were the metal clips have wedged themselves. Don't try and unscrew the front panel (like I did) as you can't remove it from here. Now you can see what is going on you should be able to fiddle around with the clips and the frame to get the b*stard out. I had to do this a few weeks ago on my mates A3. He'd finally given up struggling with the sh*teness of the Concert and now has an Alpine. The unit will still work, at least as well as it did before removal, just clip the panel back on once you've got it out, and don't ever, ever put it back in.

Thanks a lot AndyMac for taking the time to detail how to do this. Saves ripping my dash and knuckles apart!!! If it is that easy to take the cover off to remove it, the makers must have had to design an integral secuirty feature to make thieves walk on by!! So they designed it to be [censored] for security purposes!!!

Right, shall have a go at that in the morning! Decent head unit, here I come!!

Judging by the black heat sink down the side yours looks like it could be a Blaupunkt model rather than the Matsushita I had to fight with. Well done!

I think that backs up my idea of this head unit being so old that it has valves in it instead of transistors! Must me why the volume control is funny to start off with as the valves warm up!!

Remember my post when I first got the car and I wanted to upgrade to a symphony and you told me just to put a decent head unit in, i can thoroughly see why!!! My car might even be faster and more economical with this brick removed!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!

lmao nice story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now its my turn to remove it lol....already broke a few fingers and left a few scars on my deshboard...itdoesnt wanna come out.

Tommorow ill try it with a few grenades /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif