phatnoise /changer whine gone now

dunk

Reaction score
many poeple get an revs related whine after fitting a cd changer or phatbox. after i fitted my phatnoise i had 2 noises:

1) high pitched sound like morse code going on in the background
2) engine speed related quiet whine that many people had suffered.

to get rid of 1) i wrapped the phatbox in a thin layer of plastic sheet and mounted it in the changer holder using nylon screws - this removed the 2nd earth path via the case and worked a treat

to get rid of 2) i tried all sorts including putting multiple ferrites on the changer cable - none of which helped until i also put one right at the end of the cable near the back of the radio - and hurrah, the engine whine has gone completely.

i was considering running separate phono cables to the phatbox for the audio feed to the head but dont need to now at all.

LOL. My Phatbox is stuck to the top of my BOSE Sub with a couple of 3M Sticky-Pads that Halfords will sell you to stick your Number Plate to the bumper of your car. No nasty ground loops for me there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Interesting tip on the ferrite core at the HU end of the CD Changer Cable. If mine starts causing trouble I'll give that a go ASAP.

The annoying problem that I have is a loud whine/burbling on MW Radio (permanently tuned to Radio 5 Live!) which comes and goes, it's probably caused by a bad earth somewhere else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mark.

one of the clip-on ones with a big enough central gap to go around the cd changer cable