JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    4th Gear

Status

phatnoise /changer whine gone now

many poeple get an revs related whine after fitting a cd changer or phatbox. after i fitted my phatnoise i had 2 noises:

1) high pitched sound like morse code going on in the background
    2) engine speed related quiet whine that many people had suffered.

to get rid of 1) i wrapped the phatbox in a thin layer of plastic sheet and mounted it in the changer holder using nylon screws - this removed the 2nd earth path via the case and worked a treat

to get rid of 2) i tried all sorts including putting multiple ferrites on the changer cable - none of which helped until i also put one right at the end of the cable near the back of the radio - and hurrah, the engine whine has gone completely.

i was considering running separate phono cables to the phatbox for the audio feed to the head but dont need to now at all.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: phatnoise /changer whine gone now

LOL. My Phatbox is stuck to the top of my BOSE Sub with a couple of 3M Sticky-Pads that Halfords will sell you to stick your Number Plate to the bumper of your car. No nasty ground loops for me there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Interesting tip on the ferrite core at the HU end of the CD Changer Cable. If mine starts causing trouble I'll give that a go ASAP.

The annoying problem that I have is a loud whine/burbling on MW Radio (permanently tuned to Radio 5 Live!) which comes and goes, it's probably caused by a bad earth somewhere else [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Mark.

6th Gear

Status
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

4th Gear

Status
    one of the clip-on ones with a big enough central gap to go around the cd changer cable
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

6th Gear

Status
    does anyone know the diameter of the CD changer cable ?
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system