Alpine IDA 100X Headunit on audi S3 bose

campbell

Reaction score
Im toying with the idea of purchasing one of these headunits (£200) as my current setup is a chorus tape cassette HU, bose system, sub and CD changer. My CD changer has packed up so now is an ideal time to upgrade so i can use my ipod in my car.

How easy will it be to fit-i.e. plug and play or rewiring the block to go into the HU? Also, do i need any adapters? If s, were can i purchase them from?

AndyMac- Are you still making upgraded subs?

thanks in advance

Lee

You'll have problems linking up an aftermarket HU with the Bose system. The Bose system really doesn't like the way aftermarket HU's handle their pre-outs (i.e. properly), which even when using the right adapters causes loud popping when changing tracks. You can get round this by using a speaker input harness (Hi-Lo converter) but this will compromise the quality and make for a noisey system. If you're thinking of upgrading the sub, then I'd recommend replacing the front & rear speakers (about £150 all in, no need to go mad) and run them directly off the Alpine bypassing all the Bose shyte. This will give you a far superior system. Unfortunately you have to replace the speakers as they're 2ohm impedance & will burn out your HU internal amp.

if im uprating the front and rear speakers, is there any ideal speakers you would recommend?
cheers

The front components are the most important. The stock units are 4" mids with 1" tweeters, but you can fit 5.25" units as long as they are slim - 50-54mm max. Rainbow 230slx's are decent. The rears can be any 6.5" coaxial units - you won't believe it when you see the Bose units that you currently have in the rear, they look like something from a pre-war valve radio!

cheers Andy for the advice, so the first job is too buy new front and rear speakers. What do you recommed for the rears?
I have read another post and someone says if you cut the green wire at the back of the headunit it gives you much better bass and treble, is this true and why?

thanks

Any 6.5" coaxials will do, noneed to go mad as the positioning and the feeble cardboard they're attach to will prevent getting anything amazing fom them.
Yes, cut the Bose wire going to the stock HU (diagonally opposite the main brown earth on the black ISO connector) and this puts the HU back into a smiley face EQ. All Bose systems have an earth attached to the Bose pin which seriously flattens the EQ providing very little response fom the treble & bass controls.

can you just confirm Andy the bose wire is brown (on the 8pin black ISO connector)?
Any diagram to hand so i know exactly which one im cutting?

cheers in advance

Not sure on th colour, but it's clearly shown below:
symphonyII_pin-1.jpg