FISCON Handsfree Bluetooth - "Basic"

auroan

Reaction score
Website
www.dkwracing.uk
Anybody installed one of these;

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1140_FISCON-Handsfree-Bluetooth----Basic-.html

Specifically on an B7 A4 ? I've got my mfsw installed and now need to sort out my hands free kit.

I have a parrot, but fancy something a bit more oem (plus my parrot can go in another car I may be getting ;) )

I'm not getting much luck from Audi parts departments or Vagparts on what I need for an oem setup. But then I noticed the above link.

Should I just go with a kufatec kit ? I've used them before for a CC loom I needed and they were spot on.

I've got one on order for my RS4, should work as the genuine one does

Does anyone know if you can use the Kufatec loom that comes with the Basic and Pro with the OEM kit?

Also is there any additional wiring? (Apart from the microphone). From what I can see you literally remove the connector from the RNS-E and plug it into the supplied loom, then the loom into the RNS-E.

I'm affraid all i've looked at is the basic one. Which just piggy backs the stereo wiring harness..... so I assume the rns-e one would be the same.

The mic plugs into the control box ..... so would just be a single wire being run to where ever the mic needs to be.

As soon as I get an ad2p capable phone I'll be getting the unit. That way I don't need my ipod and an ipod adapter.

Well, I've got hold of a W880i at a decent price, so I've just ordered the "basic" version from the kufatec site.

Just to let you know, I have installed 3 of these and uninstalled one of them cos they are not very good.

No SDS support
Must have a MFSW to use any of the options.
Microphone is not like OEM, basically it's a cheap parrot mic.

I installed the mic as best I could into the OEM position, but I'm generally not happy with the FISCON kits. I have 8 left and will be knocking them out cheaply.

But don't think for one minute they are as good as OEM.

Do you get SDS without mfsw on the oem kit ? Thought SDS was only for satnav ?

How much is just the oem parts to self install ? As no one seems capable of answering that question yet......

Apart from the mic... what else is bad ? Does oem support a2dp ?

From what I have seen there are loads of different versions of the OEM kit, which is the oldest letter worth having?

I've seen a 'K' for sale, but wondered if it was worth it?

No I don't think the OEM supports a2dp Danny.

Look on eBay for the parts, friend of mine just ordered from a Spanish seller.

Hi Auroan, I have just installed a FISCON basic in my TT J8 and it works seamlessly with my Symphony III Head Unit + Bose system and Multi Function Steering wheel. I had a problem with a broken mike cable but Kufatec were very quick to replaced it. I got my local Bristol Audi dealer to code it with the CAN bus. They weren't too happy about doing it and charged me about £50. The kit is a bit pricey at £250 but it works well. The MP3 playback is mono however and there are regular breaks in the sound. I have a Nokia N96 smartphone but a lot of the claimed features such as listing of recent calls, missed calls etc don't work with this phone which means a lot of wading through my long phone book to get to the numbers I want to call. The sound quality is good from both my side and the caller's. It's better than the Nokia CK-1W that I had in my old car. I really don't see why car manufacturers can't put Bluetooth in every head unit. The chip needed to do this cost less than $1!

Thanks for the info robhills !!!

Just got an e-mail from kufatec saying my unit has been despatched. I'll be using a SE W880i with mine so I'll let you know how it interfaces with the unit. The fiscon unit seems comparable in price with the oem kit... but with a little more functions (ie a2dp etc)

Hope fully I'll have it installed at the weekend, as I can code it myself.

No probs. I think you may be a little dissapointed with the A2DP sound playback. On my Symphony III + Bose upgrade its not possible to adjust the bass and treble and the mono sound all seems to be coming from centre stage. Kufatec say that this is a limitation if of the HU. Its sad that 7 years after installing a Nokia CK-1W in my previous car, the price has almost trebled but the technology has stood still. The only new feature is the ability to scroll through and select a contact from a sequence shown one at a time in the instrument panel. A very slow process if you have 300 contacts!

Kit arrived to day. First impressions are good. The loom and box seem quite well made and very oem ish. I see what Craig means by the mic..... but I've only ever had parrot kits in the past so I'm happy with it so far.

Update... guess what the chipset is..... you got it a parrot Ck5050... hmmmm

Fitting: for S6 2003 B5, easy but... have to splice the harness into your existing wiring rather than use inline Quadlock supplied, phone audio, CAN high/low/+12 volts, zero volts & mute I believe 'cos there is no space left behind B5 double DIN after the RNS-e box is slid back in. Plenty of space above glove box to mount control unit. Running Kufatec mic wire easy.

Operation: integrates well & pairs easily both initially and each time you start car. Need to check you're phone's on the Kufatec compatible list my HTC touch was not but get full sync from most sony's. Code the instrument cluster (17) adding +2 to channel 62 I believe will get phone info & caller display etc. to the DIS

Phone sound quality is good at both ends, A2DP not worth talking about as mono through the phone input stage of the RNS-e & little control of sound no control of tracks without MFSW or using the phone itself. I don't seem to be able to access the unit through VAG-COM phone controller 77 but that does not appear necessary & is hardly surprising as it's not OEM.

I don't have MFSW & hence no need for SDS later but as such need the Fiscon Pro unit at 299 euro offers 170 squid saving over OEM. I see they're now £190 on fleabay from far-awaysville.

Fitting takes <1 hour even having to solder the loom splice. Verdict: Inexpensive OEM look. Not unhappy but be aware of limitations before buying this one over the OEM.

So the only reason you had to splice the loom was due to the amount of space behind the RNS-E.

This is quite a major factor for me as I don't want to go splicing looms etc, I just want a plug and play set-up.

Does anyone know if you can get a plug and play cable for the OEM kit? I managed to get hold of a reasonably priced 'H' OEM kit and just need the mic and cable now.

I would rather go for the OEM kit, but if it means that I'll be chopping wires then that would probably steer me towards to the FISCON kit.

Any suggestions?

I think the oem kit is plug and play depending on the year of the motor.

As it stand the FISCON kit is supported plug and play for the following cars;

At this stage the hands free kit is suitable for the following vehicles:
-Audi A3 8P, A3 Sportback, A3 Cabrio
-Audi A4 8E, B6, B7
-TT 8J, Roadster, Coupe
-A6 4B (from 2000)

...................Still haven't got round to fitting the kit yet. I have an auto dimming review mirror to fit as well, so will do both at the same time.

Yes only need to splice was a space issue.. There's just no space behind the RNS-e in A6s. That being said took the splice took 15mins with a soldering iron I'm happy with the FISCON but.... Not sure what the phone compatibility list is like compared to OEM. Worth looking at the forums & compare a new OEM bluetooth box part number.

Finally got the unit fitted today. Must say I'm more than happy with it. Easy to install as there is loads of room in the A4 for the box and wires. Unit works perfectly with my SE W890 (sent the w880i ebay special back as it wasn't unlocked).

Where did you end mounting the Microphone?

Does it all look OEM on the FIS or does it show some fiscon messages on startup? (I read this maybe the case somewhere).

No special messages from Fiscon, the only outward non-OEM look is the mike. Put this on the overhead interior light cluster. Comes with the usual parrot sticky fixer & routed down the Left A pillar to the bluetooth box which sits ontop of the glove-box. I'm told it will work in the OEM position but for this you'll need to change the plastic of the light cluster if you have the C5 A6 & I believe there will still be a bit of reduction in quality.

Bottom Line:--- A cheaper alternative to the original and quite serviceable but if you can get to Manchester & S8 Craig is still fitting them in for £399 (£429 for A6) then go call him. I live 180 miles away, have no regrets about the Fiscon don't have MFSW & would therefore not go down the SDS route so Fiscon suites me

Yep fiscon is bob on for me. I fitted the mic behind the middle sunvisor flap, (which is where I've fitted my parrot kit mics to all my previous vag cars).

The documentation states not to mount the mic in the oem posistion as the pick up quality suffers, unless you strip the mic down. Be aware though.... The reason you get a parrot type mic is because in all intents and purposes this is a parrot unit, wrapped up with a canbus interface.

All in all the purchase and self install fitting (I have VCDS hex-com) cost me £240. Which compared to the oem kit is a bargin in my eyes.

Plus the install took me all of 45 mins max (even taking my time).

Used mine for a month now and works great, no problems at all.

Won't connect if you are in a phonecall when turning on the ignition, but you work round this.

Well worth it

I recently installed the Basic Plus kit, and I think it's great. The actual install took about 45 minutes and I put the mic in the normal OEM position, all works excellently. I had a small issue with the firmware, basically my phone would not connect, however I updated the kit via a bluetooth laptop and all is good now.

I would really recommend this kit, and when you can pick them up on eBay for about £190 you can't go wrong.