Front Speaker Fitting Advice

oll

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read some good things about the Rainbow SLX230's and am wondering if anyone has fitted them in the 8L before. From what people are saying in this forum it sounds like the best idea will be to use MDF speaker adapters. Has anybody here fitted a set of these speakers in the front on an A3 before? I've seen on ebay some MDF speaker rings with a depth of 9mm, would there be room in the doors to accomodate the rainbows and the speaker rings?

Also where would be a suitable location to mount the crossovers?

Thanks in advance.

Yes they will fit but you can't just use generic MDF rings, they need to be specifically for the A3. The A3 has a strange 3 point offset arrangement where the speakers bolt to the flimsy door card, so the adapters have to sit over the mounting posts to seal correctly around the 4" aperture, and the screw holes have to be accesible in order to attach the ring. Then a second bigger ring screws to the first to provide the larger aperture for the 5.25" speaker. This also has to have some depth to prevent the speaker cone fouling the first ring as the Rainbows cone, like many aftermarket components, sits proud of the speaker cage. You can make your own, PM me if you want the templates.
If you don't want the hassle of rewiring the doors then the crossovers can be hotglued to the doorcard, you just need to find a spot where they don't foul the window mechanism.