Where is my amplifier

AndymacA4

Reaction score
My 2001 A4 B6 has a sound problem. The front speakers work fine off of the Symphony headunit. The rear speakers are extremely quiet, the back shelf speakers are silent, and the boot sub is not working, however I haven't rumaged to find it.

Where is my amplifier going to be?

How do I get to it?

What is needed to replace it if necessary? Does it have to be OEM, or will another brand do?

Ta

Andy

The amp is bolted to the tupperware sub in the boot cubbyhole assuming it's not the Bose system.

Okay, lost now, tupperware tub? Should I be able to see this in the boot? On the left there is a cubby hole big enough for a first aid kit. On the right, there is nothing but carpet. Underneath the flap is the spare wheel.

Where should I be looking?

As far as I can see from the Elsawin workshop manual, the amplifier is mounted on the rear wheel arch behind the trim panel on the left-hand side of the boot.

Found it! The amplifier is in the boot, mounted on the right hand side behind the trim panel. Getting to it involves removing the boot floor, the cargo clips and moving the side panel around to free it from around the back seat.

My amplifier does work now, the multipin clip in connector was a bit loose. A good grab and waggle seems to have sorted it out. It now produces power to the speakers, but the back end is still much quieter than my headunit output.

I have set my Symphony to output a no. 7 fade to the back of the car. This evens things up a bit, but cuts right back on maximum volume. Is there a possible, quick aftermarket swap out replacement that will help the back end out?

Ta

Andy