2008 S3 Nav Retrofit

VRStu

Just Looking
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.octavia-vrs.com
Guys I hope this isn't a previously answered question, I can't find anything definitive via the search.

Just picked up my S3 which I'd like to put the Nav unit into. I've retrofitted quite a lot of VAG Navs in my time so not bothered about that side of things.

Question is, are there any specific part numbers to look for - obviously I want the latest unit.

Thanks.

TBH fella rns units are much the same even if latest versions nothings changed & only firmware updates make real difference, they havnt even updated the sd readers for more card compatibility or faster access, I assume you've got double din already with lower climate, so straight swap with rns with maybe a pin move for bose, what unit you got already & from your sig I'd say you'll either change your sharkfin for a gps & tel version or just use the magnetic antenna for satellite pickup under the dash which is easiest option & people dont seem to report any less satellites picked up.

As for part number well I'm sure you know which unit to pickup for the S3, whether its L, S, Q or whatever it doesnt seem to matter.

Usually Lithuanian ebay sellers best option except for nav_systems, dont use this guy as he says units are 100% but mine arrived with broken rear socket then fecked me around trying to return, others are reliable like I think navi555 & naviandbmwparts

I've used/recomended navi555 & naviandbmwparts before without problems.

I have the Concert in there at the moment.

So far I have found an H and L revision of the number 8P0 035 192.

What about the S3 splash screen, is that changeable or installable, or even automatic?

Also I've picked up that I think you need to swap a wire around if you have Bose - Is that still applicable?

S3 screen can be done with VAG-COM. You'll need to move the BOSE pin. Your FM radio reception will also suffer but I guess you have already read up on that.....

best place for that is navplus.us which has a more indepth info about the antenna system issue & the mod to try & improve it, but Wes never complained of signal issues tbh, so he left it I believe.

As Isaac says vagcom rns adaptation 18 change to a 1 for S3 screen & ye Bose pin move which is very easy to do.

im just in the middle of fitting my RNS-E and having trouble removing the bose pin. is there an easy way to remove the pin out the harness?? :uhm:

to remove pins from the smaller 8 pin plug 1st remove from quadlock & then slide the blue clip out then they should come out

for the larger plugs, unclip from quadlock, then remove the pin housing from the main housing so you can see the rows of pins, then on the visual side of the pin you push down onto the pin which lowers the pins clip retainer & it should slide out, when replacing try to pull the retainer part of the pin up slightly so it locks into the pin housing again so when you pull the wire it doesnt slide out easily

should be very obvious when you've done 1 of each

Guys,

I've got a facelift S3 coming next week with Concert III(?) - can I just remove this and insert the RNS unit in its place using the existing cables or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.