a3 8p sound equalisation and coding

dunk

Reaction score
ive completely replaced my 8p bose system, but its noticable that the audi front door speakers have much more of a mid and mid-bass than any replacement speakers - i noticed this with my b5 as well - has anyone else noticed this? although the quality is massively better, it seems a little flat - maybe i've just got used to the horribly coloured sound of the oem speakers??

i currently have:
focal utopia front components
cdt rear components
genesis profile 5 amp
ED 9kv2 in 26L stealth box in a qb3 alignment.

which leads on to the question about coding - there are 3 choices for the radio coding -
flat, a3 or bose - from what i can read, the flat and bose are the same, but then why are there 2 options, and what equalisation does the a3 setting actually have? more bass? less?

its difficult to tell with a back to back listening, cos the recoding cuts off the sound for a few seconds which makes it quite difficult to tell the differences.

any ideas?

The normal A3 coding has a smiley face EQ, so more bass and more treble with less middle, which is essentially what you need in a car unless you have your own separate EQ.

I have removed BOSE and fitted JL after market speakers / sub + 500/5 amp.

I have left the coding for BOSE and the sound was alot better but did sound like the sound was flat.

I have now cut the BOSE wire and sounds miles better, much richer sound with the Bass and treble control which now work correctly. (BOSE coding is still enabled)

Hope this helps

i dont understand this thing about the bose wire - my bass and trebble controls do seem to work fine, and as i understand it, the bose wire just disabled the internal amps - or does it do much more? AndyMac can you or anyone else confirm what:
-the bose wire does
-what the coding does
-the interaction of the 2?

thanks

The Bose wire earths the Bose pin on the back of the HU. This flattens the EQ of the HU's preamp stage so you get less bass and less treble. It also reduce the effect of the treble & bass controls (because obviously Bose know how you like to listen to music better than you do).
There are 2 coding options via VAGCOM, both of which are purely cosmetic in terms of sound quality.
1. just flashes up "Bose" when you turn the HU on
2. turns off the HU's internal front power amp as it's not used with the amped Bose system and saves valuable power on the HU (god only knows what for). I think this option is there purely to annoy anyone buying a secondhand HU for a non Bose system as their front speakers won't work unless they have VAGCOM and can switch it back on.

Regardless the only thing that effects the sound is the Bose wire on the back and I suggest anyone wanting to improve the sound on their Bose system cuts this wire as it gives you back some control of the woolly Bose sound.

hahahahahaha wow - the cutting bose wire certainly fixed things - i can see (hear) the value of my expensive component set now - thanks guys. those focal utopias are amazing.

all that 'presence' and punch has come back, and im having to turn the bass down rather than up. the bose wire seems to give extreme trebble boost and lower bass boost whilst cutting out all the middle and mid-bass, making the music sound very thin.