Which bluetooth car kit?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section but I am after a bluetooth car kit for my S3 as I have just purchased a nokia 6600. I have a headset which is great but was thinking of getting the car kit. Any recomendations on which kit? Anyone seen the ones in Halfords? Are they ok?

Do I need to get any additional cables to interface with my concert head unit with bose?

Thanks
Rich.

Nokia do two types of car kit, one which is wired to the car, the other uses bluetooth. Check out the nokia web-site for info. It's preferrence and cost really.

As for connecting to the HU either car kit will come with a cable which will mute your stereo. Because you have Bose you will have to fit the external speaker and from the kit and listen to your conversation from it. I know of no way to use this fuction with Bose. It works just fine for me.

im sure you dont need the external speaker if you have bose - the head unit has a + and - feed for the voice signal and a mute line - if you connect all 3 then the voice will come out of the stereo when making or receiving a call.

i fitted the sony bluetooth kit and bought the autoleads adapter to fit my symphony 1 head - it plugged straight in, i linked the phone and handsfree kit and that was it - all working with proper mute etc. the only difficult bit was getting the mic cable across the centre console from the drivers side to behind the glove box where i hid the bluetooth box.

i forgot, the parrot 3000 kit is a generic one that includes full voice dialling even if your phone doesnt include voice dialling - i had this with my old eriksson and it worked extremely well.

@dunk,

I'm thinking of getting a SE Bluetooth kit for my S3. I have a SE T610 (to be replaced with a SE K700, when Orange can give me a free upgrade) and would like to keep everything the same.

Can I be cheeky and ask where you wired the power, earth, etc to, and how you ran the mic cable from the BT Box round to the drivers side door pillar trim?

Question; was the BT Box too big to hide behind the HU? I noticed there's plenty of room back round the back of my Concert Radio/Cassette...

Thanx

Mark.

[ QUOTE ]
MarkyB said:
@dunk,

I'm thinking of getting a SE Bluetooth kit for my S3. I have a SE T610 (to be replaced with a SE K700, when Orange can give me a free upgrade) and would like to keep everything the same.

Can I be cheeky and ask where you wired the power, earth, etc to, and how you ran the mic cable from the BT Box round to the drivers side door pillar trim?

i wired the power, earth and switched power from the back of the radio (via the autoleads adapter, which also connects the phone mute, although i had to modify this because i have the navi plus)

- the mic was pinned to the top of the a-pillar and i ran the cable under the rubber of the door trim, under the fuse box lid, under the trim of the drives side of the dash (you can feed it above the pedals and tuck it under the trim.
with the radio removed, you can feed the mic lead from right side of the dash behind the radio, out of the left side of the radio slot to the space behind the glove box.

Question; was the BT Box too big to hide behind the HU? I noticed there's plenty of room back round the back of my Concert Radio/Cassette...

yes the bt box wont fit behind the radio - remove the glove box (there are about 10 torx screws then it just lifts off, very easy) there is plenty of room for the bt box behind the glove box - i sat mine on top of the ventilation fan casing wrapped in a little bubble wrap to stop it rattling around.

i ran the cable to the BT hand switch under the edge of the left side of the central console so it appeared by the left side of the ash tray and stuck it to the left side of the tray under the ash tray - the driver can see it and easily press the buttons but there is no wiring visible, the passengers cant see it and the ash tray still works properly.

then put the radio back and the glove box back and voila

duncan

Thanx

Mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
MarkyB said:
@dunk,

[/ QUOTE ]

Marky do you happen to know if Orange will be bringing out the SE K700 then?

as it stands the have the old T610 which has been about abit, and this has been replaced by the SE T630 but orange havent yet changed from T610

My contact is coming to a end in mid June, and ive been looking towards one of the newer SE's

as i dont fancy taking on a new contract with an out of date phone!

Cheers

Paul

@dunk

Cheers m8, you are a STAR!

I've had the glovebox and HU out a couple of times so no worries with doing the wiring and now it's FINALY stopped raining I can crack on with all those little jobs I've been meaning to do on my car.

Which AutoLead adapter did you need? I have a Mk1 Concert Radio/Cassette with the BOSE Speaker upgrade (no sniggering at the back), so I'll be having fun squezing the pins out of the ISO Blocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

@PaulS3 I have heard that Orange are skipping the "facelift" T630. Most people in the know expect that they're focusing on the K700 instead. No definate idea on when it will be available, but I'd guess July/August.

* Orange heavily customise the firmware on the handsets that they sell, so I if they're trying to save a couple of £££ by skiping the facelift T630, then they'll want to move fast to get the K700 onto the shelves to avoid looking like they've been left behind by the other Mobile Phone Operators.

I got my T610 as an upgrade last July, so I'll be looking to do the same once my year is up - I've been with Orange for 4+ years so I expect to get the K700 for nowt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Top Tip is to get your upgrade by phoning Orange Customer Services who'll Courier it to you within 24 hours, rather than going to an Orange Shop, which are there to make money for themselves as well as Orange *hint* *hint*

Downside is that you don't get someone to hold your hand and show you how the new phone works, and you'll have to sort out transfering your numbers from your old phone to your new phone yourself, but as they're fairly similar and both BlueTooth enabled, it should be relatively straightforward (famous last words...)

Mark.

Mark.

just read this on another forum. CHap talking as if he works for Orange....

[ QUOTE ]
On Orange we have the K700 in June sometime, no more information on exactly which week yet though.

We also have the Z1010 coming in time for the 3g launch

[/ QUOTE ]

Both SE phones.

Cool. I have to wait until July when my year is up, hopefully there may be a K700 left for me after everyone else has got one; three of my mates are also going to upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mark.

SE have a new car kit out very soon if you can wait hold out for it. The HCB-30 (current model) is erratic at best, at worst it is just plain flaky. Street prices are expected to be similar to current model i.e £100-£120.

SE Blurb below:

Bluetooth™ Car Handsfree HCB-300
Coming soon
With the Bluetooth™ Car Handsfree HCB-300 you are not only a safer driver – the wireless technology makes phone handling in the car a lot more convenient. Just leave your phone in your pocket or a bag, turn the ignition key and you’re ready to make, take or reject calls while driving.
Best of all: you can share the convenience. As many as five users can take turns using the HCB-300 without hassle. It’s as simple as this: Every user chooses a personal colour with the Colour ID feature. When the ignition key is turned, the HCB-300 automatically connects to the Bluetooth™ phone in use and displays the pre-selected colour for that phone. If person A with the Colour ID ‘blue’ drove the car last, the display will indicate the Bluetooth™ connection with a blue colour. If person B with the Colour ID ‘green’ is the next person using the car, the HCB-300 will first try to connect to the ‘blue’ phone, since that one was the last used in the car. With a simple key push, the user B can change the Bluetooth™ connection to the ‘green’ phone (or simply wait for the HCB-300 to find the phone). Sharing a car handsfree has never been easier.

these all sound nice but if youre cheap..u can go to radidoshack and they will hook you up with a tape adapter and an external mic. its will cost somewhere around the lines of less than everything else.

Hmmmm but the cost of the flights from Wales to the USA would bump up the cost somewhat. Also you are assuming that the car has a tape unit, many now come with CD only.

Thanx for the tip on the HCB-300. Looks like I'm playing the waiting game with SE this summer, I hope it's worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark.

i have the SE hcb-30 in my s4 connecting to my SE t68i. Work fine, never had any problems. Mic placement is the most important thing to get right when installing the kit. I can take calls with the window down and still have people on the other end hear me clearly.

bleedin phone companies for you eh ?!?!?
have been browsing blueunplugged myself - seems pretty cheap site
wanna get a bluetooth kit fitted within next few weeks
bit worried about installation but will cross that bridge when i come to it i spose !

I quite like the look of the new(ish) Parrot CK3100 which has that little LCD display so you can keep the phone hidden and still see who is calling and scroll through your phone book manually if you like.

However, I'm not too sure where would be the best place to put this on the new A3, or whether I would want to use tape to stick it to the console.

What have the rest of you with bluetooth kits done with the control pad?

Toby.

yeah, where are people putting the control pad? I don't have mine yet - was holding out for the HCB-300 - but now I've finally got the car, was thinking about the drivers door on the armrest, tucked up against the cloth trim.....

I have the nokia ck-1W bt kit in my B6 A4 with the little control button placed nect to the rotary dial for the headlights. Have you seen the new nokia bt kit? Little screen and jog dial for browsing the phone.

Have you seen the price of that Nokia Kit, its not cheap and it doesn't do anything that the phone itself will do mounted in a proper holder. Bit of a gimmic really.

The HCB-300 will be out at the end of October / begining of November.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:

The HCB-300 will be out at the end of October / begining of November.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one i'm waiting for! Looks well tidy!

Rich