Audi USB socket in TT/A3

dbm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting my new TTS on Monday, and I've specced the USB socket.

Does anyone know how to organise the data in the USB to use in the car? I'd like to fill a USB ready for delivery as I need to hit the road pretty much as soon as I get the car.

I think that I need to create 6 folders on the USB stick, and that I can put 99 tracks in each folder.

What should the names of the folders be?
Do I need to rename the MP3 tracks with an index number so they play in the right order?

Cheers,
Dan

I would suggest they work like the SD cards in the RNS-e. You just put each album in a folder labelled with that album name.

Also yes all my tracks are named 01-title etc etc

Just a guess though.

Edit: just noticed you'd have the car by now....

Thanks for the reply. I guess that the USB socket isn't a popular option!

I have got my motor now and worked out how to set up the USB. For the benefit of any future purchasers, here it is...

Set up six folders on the USB, called 'CD1', 'CD2' etc. Each of these folders can have 99 mps files in them.

The pain is that the files play in alphanumeric order. By default this mean the unit will play the first track of each CD, then the second track from each CD and so on. Personally I don't like this, so after some digging on the internet, here is the solution:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

This is freeware which actually has a wide range of useful features. In the context of this thread however, there is a two-stage process to getting your MP3s to play in CD order. Firstly, there is an Autonumbering Wizard (Tools menu). Select all the files in one of the six folders, then tell it to renumber the tracks. This will change the track ID3 tag so you end up with from 1 to 99 (or what ever is the last track number). Do this for each folder.

Step 2 is to use the 'Tag - Filename' option (Convert menu). This lets you systematically rename all the MP3 files based on the tags. I used '%track% %title%' to rename the files using the track number field followed by the name of the song. After doing this you will end up with all the files in the folder being numbered from 01 to 99 and therefore playing in CD order, whilst retaining the song names for ease of replacing them.

After exploring the options I can now re-jig the files in my USB in a couple of minutes after loading each of the folders.

Hope this is of use to other people out there...

Cheers,
Dan

Certainly is Dan - thanks a lot!

Is there any limit to the size of USB stick you can use?

And how do you rate the USB?

Certainly is Dan - thanks a lot!

Is there any limit to the size of USB stick you can use?

And how do you rate the USB?

have you find out the size limit as yet as I have been wondering too but had no luck as yet, expect my car soon so will have a play and let you know if no-one else replies...

An (albeit late!) update, now I've got my car.

I can use a 4GB stick - I hear a couple of others have used 8GB without problem.

I can't believe there are such limitations.
I ordered mine with a usb connection thinking that I will be able to plug: USB stick, iPod via usb and I was even hoping that I will be able to plug an external hard drive :sadlike:

Really dissapointed now, what am I going to do? :shrug:
I was even hoping I would be able to plug my phone (an HTC HD) which is full of music and it would be able to scan it and find all music on it.

Anyway ... I hope that I will be receiving my car next week and I will investigate all the possible ways ti connect staff on it.

Hi,

We're considering swapping the wife's A3 for a new TT, and I'm wondering whether the USB interface is worth ordering? I've been looking through these threads, and it looks like the structure on the USB stick is critical.

If the USB has five folders, each containing MP3 tracks with the filenames 01 <trackname>, 02 <trackname>, will these play in the expected order, or will the headunit play track 01 from the first folder, then 01 from the second? If the tracks are also tagged via the ID3 tags, will this data be used to order the tracks in preference to the filenames? Also, does the ID3 info appear on the headunit display (we're thinking of speccing the Symphony unit).

Thanks for any help you can give!

MF.