Replacing Standard Sub in a4 b6 tdi

JimmyT

Reaction score
I think there is a sub in the parcel shelf of my a4. (yes i am an audi noob) I have a sub in a sub box with an amp from my previous car. Is it possible (if the thing in the parcel shelf is a sub) to use the wires coming to the standard sub and link to my amp and sub as i want to keep the origional head unit.

Thanks

Yes, you can pick up the rear pre-outs from the rear amp (that powers the rear speakers and the sub), or if you want to you can just take the feed to the sub and use that on the speaker input to the new amp. This is easier but will give you less of a clean signal as it's already been amped & distorted by the Audi amp.
You'll need to run power for the new amp from the battery. Going through the ECU cover is the easiest route through the bulkhead, it drops straight into the drivers footwell. Then just tuck the cable under the driverside trim all the way to the boot.
The remote on for the amp can also be picked up from the rear amp, just find the wire that switches 12v on/off with the HU.

thanks for the informative reply is the standard amp for the sub located in the boot or next to the head unit? I will probably just use the output from the standard amp.

Im also in this situation with a sub gathering dust in my garage, that Id love to get working. Is there an easy way to get the pin out of the cable feeding the audi amp? Or is there a converter cable available?

Cheers

B6 non Bose rear amp
B6rear-subpinout.jpg

The male connector is on the Audi amp. Disconnect the Audi amp, remove the tupperware sub. Then take a set of RCA's, strip off one end and solder small blades onto the left & right wires and the screen and the remote on insulate them with heatshrink and plug them into corresponding pins on the above plug. You'll need a 4 channel amp so you can retain the rear speakers connections.

OK then, Ive had a look at the connector and I'm struggling to get blades small enough to fit in all the sockets. I can do a few of them by cutting the leg off a fork connector. But when the wires are side by side there isnt enough room for my bodged fork/blade crimps.

So, any recommendations or even a ebay link to connectors small enough to do the job?

Cheers

Stuart

EDIT: Would crimp pin terminals do the job? eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crimp-Termina...ryZ67858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

connect them together and plug them into the screen connection detailed above.

No problem. Has it made a bit of a difference?
If you remove the tupperware Audi sub you can actually fit the amp in its place so it's totally hidden. Makes it easy then just to remove the tube if you do need the whole boot.
AvantAmp4ch.jpg

Also I'd fold those wires back on themselves and tape them to the plug to stop them working loose.

After a couple of weeks, I have a few comments. Firstly the improvment in good quality bass is great. But I just keep thinking that the rest of the system now sounds a bit flat/dull. Would upgrading the front door speakers, but keeping them driven my the symphony 2 II make much difference or would I need to amplify everything and swap all door speakers?

Your thoughts please.

ps I'm on a very tight budget!