RNS-E 8L Audi S3 help please...

rickparmar

Reaction score
Hi all

Ive just installed my rns-e into a 2003 S3,

Radio works fine,

but sat nav am having problems, it finds sats, and my location but when am driving nothing happens, it just stays in one place, if i put a route in, it stays in one place, when i press route info it says something about digitised something.

i have done NOTHING on a vag com yet, please help

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply,

Its version D - 8EO 035 192

gala wire i have no idea what that is,

Weird thing is i went to a road in the area, and put in my home address

as soon as i got home it said you have reached your destination but it wouldnt navigate hom

Forgot to mention, my original headunit was a double din symphony with 6cd changer built in

Ok, you need to do 2 things.

1. Recode the A4 unit to be an A6 and reset the RNS-E
2. Run a gala wire from the cluster to the RNS-E V-signal.

****** hell and here is me thinking it was plug and play.

is there any guides on how to run the gala wire ?

Would this be the correct coding ?

A6, active, 2 a6 sound, 1 no telephone, 1 default options, 1 default option

so i would code as 0502111 right ?

Yep, 0502111 no BOSE and make sure adaptation channel 8 is set 0 ~ 5

or

0509111 if your car has BOSE and make sure adaptation channel 8 is set to 255

Ok thanks

Still confused about the gala, what exactly does it do and do i have to fit it in as i dont really want to take the cluster out

Yes you do need the GALA, it tells the Nav unit that the car is moving, so if you want a working nav unit, then install the GALA wire.

Just read that on navplus forum, thanks for your help,

Does it make any difference if its a A4 unit ?

and also is there any guides on where to find the gala wire ?

It makes no difference as when you code it for A6, then it expects GALA on the V-sig wire.

Taking out the cluster is easy, remove the covering above the steering wheel. Take out the two screws, pull the cluster gently out and remove the 3 connectors.

The gala wire is the GREEN/WHITE wire on pin 31 of the BLUE 32 pin connector.

Just tap into that and run it the V-SIG wire.

ok thanks, ill do that now,

also is it ok to code with a demo version of vagcom

ok everything is now open, i think ive located the right wire, ive attached a wire onto the green and white wire behind the cluster,

where does this exactly go into the rns-e ?

Thanks again for your help

Connected B pin 3 is the v signal wire, but i dont know which block it is

craig where you gone lol, am sitting in my car with my laptop and everything in pieces,

sorry if am doing your head in

i think ive got it, is it the 3rd yellow wire ? botoom left oyherside to fuse?

am confused :(

do i need to connected the gala up to pin 3 in b block connect it up to the yellow wire which is in there right now ?

here is a image of pin 3,

pin 1 is wireless, pin 2 is yellow, pin 3 is what ive conected the blue clip to the speed signal behind cluster

hows it going, i had the same problem when i fitted my rns-e to my 03 s3 and the nav position was only updating the screen after approx. 30 secs. just listen to craig he knows what hes talking about. if i can remember the gala wire is found behind the dash in the grey connector and the gala wire was blue/white coloured.

Hi Harry,

Craig said the wire is the green and white pin 31,
are you 100% sure its blue/white wire ? do you know what pin number it was ?

I've just checked Elsawin again and Speed signal (GALA) is GREEN/WHITE

On pin 31 of the BLUE connector

If you have an RNS-E adaptor to convert your symphony II to RNS-E, then it would connect to the pin 1 of the power connector, that would then go through to pin 3 of connector B on the RNS-E.

Pin 31, blue connector ---> pin 1 power connector --> pin 3 of connector B RNS-E

Would it make a difference if i connected up from

Pin 31, blue connector striaght to pin 3 of connector B RNS-E

or do i have to connect to pin 1 of the power connector ?

Thanks for all your help :)

Going to stop now as its to dark, and going to sort everything out again tomorrow.

Also before i changed any codes, my denison ice link (ipod) was working, but once i put in 502111 the ipod doesnt work now, ive also tried 502113 that to doesnt work

No it should not make any difference, but just remove anything that was in B3 from the loom in case it connects elsewhere, it should not do so, but you never know with some of these harnesses.

I don't see any reason why the Dension should stop working. Even with incorrect coding it will still work. I know cos I've seen many units just plugged in and they work without any changes, but show up an error to say "incorrectly coded"

Of course the end digit should be 0xxxxx3 for CD/Ipod interface

Would it make a difference if i connected up from

Pin 31, blue connector striaght to pin 3 of connector B RNS-E

or do i have to connect to pin 1 of the power connector ?

Ive checked all the wiring, pin 31 from blue connector it connected straight to b3 v-signal,

when i go into engineering menu and check the sensor, and when am driving the speed section does not show any mph,

Have you recoded to A6 yet? it will not work until you recode to A6 and reset the RNS-E with radio/setup held until the screen blanks.

code comes up with 502111, ive restarted the unit, still doesnt work,

am going to take everything appart and re wire everything and completly ignore the denison at the mo.

adaption channel i might have messed up, ill go recheck

What do you mean by restarted the unit, powering it on and off will not work.

You need to reset the unit for the coding to take.

You also need to change adaptation channel 2 to 08 for speed pulse. Although I dont think that really matters. It will currently be 45 for A4.

Hold RADIO & SETUP until the screen blanks.

Ok, so all seems ok with coding etc.

What makes me suspicous of a wiring issue is that you have pulled a wire from B3 to install the V-SIG and your CD changer has stopped.

with the adaptation section, i click on adaptation - channel number 08 and underneath that i put new value as 5 right ?

am at home at the moment but i live in leicester and your in manchester bit to far for me, thanks for the offer tho

i just dont understand what am doing wrong, its doing my head in

ok ill try that,

Do i do anything with channel 08 ? as further up you said change that to, or shall i put that back to 0 ?

Vehicle Signal menu

Vehicle signal Rev off
spd - pulse count 0 pulses
speed 0 mph

sensor signal - gyro volltage 1.514 v
relative bearing 0.0 degreea

nav state - coord = lat (numbers)
on/off road = off

does this mean anything to you

ok figured it out i think,

as am using demo version it wont let me save adaptation

Ok, no I deffo said channel 2

"You also need to change adaptation channel 2 to 08 for speed pulse. Although I dont think that really matters. It will currently be 45 for A4."