A3 CD Changer

David

Owdee A-free
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I guess this has been asked a fair amount of times, but couldn't find anything when I did a quick search....
Basically, picked my A3 up last night, and it doesn't have a 6stack CD changer in the boot... I fancy putting one in, but unsure which one I need...
Is it a 13 pin one?

Cheers!

Yes 13 pin, but you need to check you have the bus cable in the boot. It's clipped to the bodywork at the back of the cubbyhole on left side of boot (towards the front of the car, just passed the rear seat belt reel. Not all A3's have the pre-installed bus.

Just been out looking and I can't see anything... :(
Hard to put in? I guess I gotta take out the HU, plug it and run it down the car...?

It's very inaccessible i.e. you can only get one hand to it, which is really handy when you're trying to plug the changer in.
Here's a pic with the trim panels removed, just so as you're sure you don't have it.
Fitting the bus cable will take the job from 5 minutes to an hour or so, and even pulling the HU can take a while unless you're very gentle and use the right keys. The keys are designed to both free the clips and pull the HU out. Whatever you do don't pull the HU out using the keys as this can scrunch the clips and then it's jammed in there.
Remove the glovebox (which will make life easier when running the bus cable anyway) and with the keys in place push the HU from behind.
You may also find that you have a solid 20 pin plug monopolising all 3 of the sections that feed the DIS, provide the pre-outs to the rear amp and also the CD changer. If this is the case you'll need to either cut the end off the plug so you can plug the blue changer lead in, or you'll need to extract the pins from the cable and insert into the existing black plug. Another brilliant Audi design I'm afraid. Hopefully you've got the multicoloured plug, so you can just slide the new blue section onto the end of it.
CDchangercablelocation.jpg

Here's the solid black plug:
AudiminiISOblack.jpg

Here's the multicoloured one:
AudiMiniISOblock.jpg