SAFE MODE STILL ... My results after a few tests !

GavConner

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a very odd problem that I just cant work out to do with my radio

Original thread was started here …. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57899

My radio keeps putting its self into “Safe” Mode and it driving me nuts.

I’ve tried a numbers of things including …

1, Disconnecting the top block, no ignition, entering the code and the radio will work (Front speaks only)
As soon as I turn on the ignition the radio goes back to safe mode

Note - No DIS and No Sub and rear speakers as they are not connected

2, Disconnecting the top block, With ignition on, entering the code and the radio will work (Front speaks only)
Radio will then stay on even with the ignition off until I press the button to turn it off

3, All three blocks plugged in to the radio, ignition off, enter the code and the radio, all speakers and the sub work.
As soon as I turn the ignition on the radio will return to “Safe”

This is where is gets odd !
4, All three blocks plugged in to the radio, ignition off, enter the code and the radio, all speakers and the sub works
Then … if I turn the lights on or any other electrical part of the car the radio jumps in to “Safe”

I can never get to DIS to display the radio but the DIS will display when I’m low on fuel, trip, etc

I’ve checked every fuse and they are fine

I've checked near the sub to see if its wet and its not. Plus the subs and rears will work fine when I dont have the ignition on

DSC00152.jpg

Baffled !

Has to be a CANBUS issue, especially since the DIS doesn't work whatever you do.
Does VAGCOM throw up anything?

Has to be a CANBUS issue, especially since the DIS doesn't work whatever you do.
Does VAGCOM throw up anything?

Hi again Andy

I'm don't have VAGCOM to test it ... Where can I buy it and how much ?

Sorry to sound dim but what is the CANBUS

Would happily give sombody some beer tokens if they are in my area and I could drive to them.

The CANBUS is the data bus that tells various components in the car what to do and when, also allows these devices to be interrogated by VAGCOM.
In 2001 Audi started to include the HU as a CANBUS enabled device, however all this essentially means is that they used the CANBUS to tell the HU when the keys are in the ignition, rather than use a second live feed from the ignition switch and also changed the DIS feed from a dedicated info feed to the DIS to the DIS interrogating the HU via the CANBUS. Pretty pointless really as there's no benefit in either over the old method, but we're stuck with it. The DIS feed you referred to in your previous thread is actually the CANBUS feed.
Oh and CANBUS enabled cars don't have to enter the SAFE code if the battery or the HU is disconnected. Which is why you shouldn't have to enter the code if the CANBUS was working OK.
VAGCOM will probably tell you there's an issue with the CANBUS on the HU, no more no less, so not really worth investing in it just to tell us what we already suspect.
You'd need to buy a cable and can probably use the freebie version just to do a scan.
Can you borrow a HU and swap them over just to see? Needs to be from a vehicle of the same year or newer. My money would be that the HU is screwed, source a replacement on ebay for around £70, you can always sell it on if I'm wrong, but you need one with the code.

if you can get the car down here i have vag com and will have a look for you if you wish

AndyMac - Thanks once again for your advice.

I'm currently watching a few radios on ebay but also might try a begging post on here to find somebody with a concert radio I could swap over for 5 mins. Leeds/Halifax/Bradford way. Crate of beer for the trouble ?

Is that allowed ??

If it is my radio then it will add to my reasons for a new RNS-E for my birthday and christmas !

Dualmono21 - Where abouts in the UK are you and I don't supposed you have a Concert radio kicking abotu do you as it look like you have ripped whatever was in there out from your signiture.

:)

im in barnsley
about 5 minutes from junction 36 of the m1
and yes i got an old head unit shoved in a cupboard somewhere

Thank You - dualmono21

I shall take you up on that offer if thats ok.

I'll send you a PM to arrange.

Gav