Chris NottVolks Autos

Thread: 2ohm or 4ohm?

Jay
    2nd Gear

Status

2ohm or 4ohm?

I have a 12" Alpine SWR-1242D running off a v12 amp with the gain on the lowest setting. The front and rears are both running off a Pioneer headunit.

The sub is running at 2ohm. What difference would it make if I ran the sub at 4ohm.

I ask because i'm constantly having to turn the bass up and down when listening to different types of music.

Apart from volume what other difference would it make to the sub?

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    It won't change a thing, you'll still have to adjust the bass for different tracks.
    Running at 2ohm just means you are getting more power from the amp, as the load has less resistance. Changing to 4ohm will mean the amp is operating less efficiently and so you'll have to adjust the gain up slightly to compensate, but it has no effect on the quality of sound, or the variance of bass on different tracks.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    It won't change a thing, you'll still have to adjust the bass for different tracks.
    Running at 2ohm just means you are getting more power from the amp, as the load has less resistance. Changing to 4ohm will mean the amp is operating less efficiently and so you'll have to adjust the gain up slightly to compensate, but it has no effect on the quality of sound, or the variance of bass on different tracks.
    there is actually a slight differance when you load an amplifier down to produce more output (the (thd) total harmonic distortion will double if you run the amp at a the lower impedance ) as to whether or not this can be heard with your ears depends upon the person listening but most people cannot
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers