2ohm or 4ohm?

Jay

Reaction score
I have a 12" Alpine SWR-1242D running off a v12 amp with the gain on the lowest setting. The front and rears are both running off a Pioneer headunit.

The sub is running at 2ohm. What difference would it make if I ran the sub at 4ohm.

I ask because i'm constantly having to turn the bass up and down when listening to different types of music.

Apart from volume what other difference would it make to the sub?

thanks

It won't change a thing, you'll still have to adjust the bass for different tracks.
Running at 2ohm just means you are getting more power from the amp, as the load has less resistance. Changing to 4ohm will mean the amp is operating less efficiently and so you'll have to adjust the gain up slightly to compensate, but it has no effect on the quality of sound, or the variance of bass on different tracks.

It won't change a thing, you'll still have to adjust the bass for different tracks.
Running at 2ohm just means you are getting more power from the amp, as the load has less resistance. Changing to 4ohm will mean the amp is operating less efficiently and so you'll have to adjust the gain up slightly to compensate, but it has no effect on the quality of sound, or the variance of bass on different tracks.

there is actually a slight differance when you load an amplifier down to produce more output (the (thd) total harmonic distortion will double if you run the amp at a the lower impedance ) as to whether or not this can be heard with your ears depends upon the person listening but most people cannot