S3 8P audio install

sakkie69

2008 Audi S3
Reaction score
When upgrading the stock-non Bose sound, is there any guides or references out? I would have loved one of those A3 replacement sub boxes but living in Africa means there is no chance of getting it here... but will see what's available in any case.

Do you need adaptor plates for the door speakers etc. I want to upgrade the sound in my car and just want to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Thanks! WIll search for more in the forum and add to this when more questions arise.

Thanks Andy!

I see I was asking about the spacer rings in that thread also :) hehe...

Guess I'll take some time stripping the one door down and seeing what's hiding beneath.

You do need mdf spacer rings if you are mounting aftermarket front components - i think it is 40mm thick, but not totally sure!

You can turn the standard sub off by disconnecting the wires and incorporating your own subwoofer

I have a 10" Diamond sub in my A3 and Genesis amps and it sounds amazing

I just got my amp back from genesis for a repair and the difference is outstanding!!

I ordered my rings on Ebay (as I say in the thread) I then glued and screwed two together to get enough depth.

The biggest problem that I encountered was getting decent speaker cable into the doors for the mids. The door loom terminates on a plug and socket arrangement. So to get the speaker cable into the door with the rest of the loom, I had to modify the plug to create enough room for the speaker cable and then run it down from the rubber grommets located in the bodywork above the plug / socket.

The A3 stock HU is also controlled by a Canbus ignition on signal, so there is no switched live in the stock loom. I already had a switched connection from the fuse box that was used by the phone kit installed by the previous owner (MarriedBlonde) and so I used that.

I must get round to updating that thread as I have now have some pics of the amp rack since I've tidied it up.

Paul

What size speakers fit in the front and back? (on the 3 door). It's it the normal 6.5" all around setup as used in other Audi's?

And for these speakers, is there a type that is best? Well, there is already tweeters in the door but most speakers you buy seem to be 2 way (like the Sony/Kenwoods I see around in the shops here a lot), that would obviously cause too much treble?

6.5" all round, with 1 " tweeters. Buy some half decent 2 way components & make sure you change the tweeters as the stock ones are shyte. Do not buy coaxials.

6.5" all round, with 1 " tweeters. Buy some half decent 2 way components & make sure you change the tweeters as the stock ones are shyte. Do not buy coaxials.

Thank you Andy! Is there a certain impedance that they must be?
I'll see if I can get some Autoleads brackets to help me with the install as well, I used them on my Mk4 GTI and they helped a lot (I actually still have some of them left over, wonder if they'll work....)

Standard non Bose takes 4 ohm components.
I'd make your own spacer rings as the Autoleads ones are unsurprisingly shyte.