hard wiring inverter into the boot - S3 8L

Beenie

Reaction score
I've got a power inverter for my s3 so I can run the ps2 in the car, I've got it all plumbed in but I have to run the power cable to the front so I can plug the inverter in.
So what I wanna do is hard wire the inverter in near the sub and cd changer, so does anyone know of the best place to tap into the wiring around that area?

There's a permanent live on the sub connector you could get a piggyback connector on, but I wouldn't want an inverter powered up when you're not using it, it'll drain the battery (even when the playstation is off). I'd use that live to feed a relay then use the remote on from the HU to trigger the relay, so the inverter will only switch on when the HU is on.

Yeah that's exactly what I want to do, but which wire is a live when HU on? it's only a small inverter (I mean tiny, not much bigger than the plug it's self) so it can be hiden in between the sub and rear light.

Depends if you have the Bose system or non Bose.
Non-Bose system:
A3subloompinouts.jpg

Bose system:
BosePinouts.jpg

Bear in mind though that IIRC, the sub feed is only 5A rated, so if your inverter pulls more than 60VA, you will pop the fuse. The PS should not pull that, but the inverter may have a switch on surge that could pop it...

Cheers,

excellent pic! cheers mate.

I don't wanna butcher the wiring to find out it's no good, if ya know what I mean.

If you've got a slim line PS2 you shouldn't need to run an inverter IIRC it runs of about 5 volts after the power transformer. If so, get one of these 12v cigar lighter power adapters that allow you to change the connector and voltage, and run it directly of your cig lighter/12v socket in the boot. If you have one.

I don't have a 12v socket in the boot though :(