Road Angel Professional Connected

s8craig

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.tclsatnav.com
Well after a few weeks and now two RA units, I would avoid this product like the plague.

Where do you mount the Speed camera detector? On the dash in direct sunlight? of course your do.

What happens when you do?

The RA overheats even though it's not powered up and dies, the charging circuitry is rubbish and the charging light flashes. You are unable to power up the RA even though it's hardwired as the battery requires some charge, catch 22 when the charging is suspended.

The local RA sales manager tells me it was fixed in a new firmware release, but now on my second RA and just charging it in my lounge it has died again with the flashing red light. Even after I updated it from the web as instructed.

Listen to RA's answer to this problem.....

"My Professional won’t work in my car and it is a hot or very sunny day, what can I do?"

The Professional needs at least some charge in the battery for it to work properly. If the charging circuit has been suspended for some time, due to the excessive heat in the car, it is possible that all of the available charge in the battery has been used. To continue charging the unit remove the Professional from the car and charge it in a cooler location. It may take up to ten minutes from removing the unit for the internal temperature to fall enough to allow the battery to start charging properly again. Successful charging is indicated by a constant red LED on the front screen.

Excessive heat? what a crock of sh!te, it's June and not exactly hot, my car even has a solar roof to keep it cool and teh unit still breaks.

Nothing but praise for my RA Navigator, and old school classic RA, both have worked flawlessly.
Sounds like you leave the unit in the car when parked up, are you mad? Would you leave £200 on the dash?
SatNav theft is now the biggest car crime. Had mine nicked in the middle of the afternoon while the car was on the drive - smash & grab - easy money.

It's not a satnav it's a speed camer detector. Regardless of where I leave it, the unit should not fail because of sunlight when not being powered up. And I think charging it in my lounge by the window is perfectly safe.

I don't have any problems with other RA products either I was pointing out that particular product has issues.

You're missing the point. Do you really believe the scum that nick these things differentiate between the two? They just smash your window and grab whatevers stuck to the windscreen.

Andy I'm not missing the point at all. I posted regarding a crap product and your changing the tread to be about car crime and Navigation units etc, which I'm well aware of and I guess most people on this forum are.

I didn't post "Am I mad to leave my RA on the dash"

I posted regarding an issue with the RA in that when it gets hot it shuts it's charging circuitry down, this can also happen whilst driving if in direct sunlight.