Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Backup Copy RNS-E Nav DVD

Hi, sorry if this has been posted before but I would like to know how to make a copy of my NAV DVD.

I am getting a bit paranoid as my original has refused to read on occasion, I have tried creating an ISO image of the DVD and burning it to +R DL discs but it refuses to read, I guess there is something else about the disc that my buring software isnt picking up.

Does anyone know any software that will burn correctly or how this is done?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    If its struggling to read an original DVD then the chances are that the DVD drive may be on its way out. For burning a back up, this thread gives all the info you could ever want.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

1st Gear

Status
    Have you checked the DVD to ensure there are no marks grease or scratches, what software are you using. If you are using Nero you should be able to just copy disc. Are you using any de-encoding software such as 'Any DVD'.

5th Gear

Status
    As long as you're doing a personal backup then, for best results, use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and burn using clonecd and a pioneer burner if possible, I don't believe there is any copy protection on the original.

I use a backup copy and leave the original in the house.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks everyone, reading through the forum it sounds quite tricky to make a backup, the consensus is what 3.2 JU says, ive tried CloneCD and Philips +R DL on my Freecom DVD RW but no luck, there is obviously some form of copy protection on the original which is a little scratched, seems to hiccup when the drive is working hard and warm.

Guess I iwll have to try the Verbatim and Pioneer route!

1st Gear

Status
    Second that on the verbatim discs never use anything else & have never had a failed copy. I dont have any pioneer drives in my pc. If your disc is scratched that could be your problem.

1st Gear

Status
    Bought myself a Pioneer 112D writer and some Verbatim Discs, already have CloneCD so will give it a whirl see what happens.

I think a lot depends on which area and what generation of DVD Disc you are trying to backup, I will let you know how I get on

1st Gear

Status
    Nailed it, Pioneer 112D writer, Verbatim DVD+R DL disc, Alcohol 120% with book type set to DVD-ROM, wish I had done it in the first place. Nav system seems to be running fine now

4th Gear

Status
    there is absolutely not any copy protection, just that most dvd writers dont do the dual layer break properly and the nav disks are sensitive to this

all the pioneer writers seem to get this right, so most copy software works fine with the correct writers.

i also tested about 12 different types of media, and the only reliably read one is verbatim dvd+r, but you dont need to write at 1x or 2x - just the speed of the media

the correct media is mkm001 type. verbatim dvd-r doesnt work properly
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp