A3 8L speakers not working :(

mrmattholmes

Reaction score
finally got a headunit in my A3 and the speakers arent right at all.
The passenger side front lower speaker works but tweeter doesnt
The drivers side tweeter works but lower speaker doesnt
No rear speakers at all and no sub?

What can cause this?

I have tried the headunit in 2 other cars and its fine.

help needed asap, its doing my head in :sos:

have you used an adaptor lead (like these - http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/audi/A3.htm ) between the HU and the wiring harness? On the 8L the rear speakers and sub are powered by an amp that's either behind the passenger side rear panel or in the boot with the sub. I'd also check that the polarity of the wires to the front speakers, if they are round the wrong way you will send the wrong frequencies to the speakers which will damage them.

The polarity won't damage anything, it just results in bass cancellation if one speaker is wired in reverse to the other. The A3 loom is already prewired for the front speakers so the polarities will be correct. Chances are it's a loose connection behind the door card. This is the only place where the wiring splits to feed the tweeters seperate from the mid woofers i.e. if only the tweeter is working then the feed must be getting to the woofer as well otherwise neither would work.

thats handy to know, i always thought the tweeters would get damage putting the wrong frequency through them though i know the bass would be ok, if they even moved LOL

Matt did you test it in 2 cars identical to yours?

Sounds like what Andy says(he's usually right) a wiring issue but whats the head unit part number?

thats handy to know, i always thought the tweeters would get damage putting the wrong frequency through them though i know the bass would be ok, if they even moved LOL

That's only if the speakers are bi wired i.e. seperate feeds from the amp to the tweeters and woofers independant of each other. Audi just use one feed to the woofer then piggyback the tweeter feed with an inline capacitor to filter just the high frequencies. Bi wiring is only really used in high end home audio and TBH makes no difference at all anyway.