Concert with Bose - split out the sub feed for ext amp.

brixo

Reaction score
Website
www.neilbriscoe.co.uk
I have read lots of thread with some really good advice and knowledge. Still a tad confused about what I can and can't do.

I have the Concert stereo with Bose in my 2003 S4 Avant. The bass gets lost in the cavernous boot space. I am ok with the HU (for the minute!) and ok with the sound of the fronts and rears (for the minute!)

I have a V12 amp and a 10" sub box from a previous install that I would like the use. I appreciate that I will have to run power to the boot - I'll go through that world of pain once I figure out what I am doing!!

My question:

Is it possible to split out the input "feed" for the sub to run to my external amp, BUT, still leave the other "feeds" to the existing Bose amp to run the rears etc?

Basically, want to do as little as possible to get some more bass into my car and have a spare V12 and sub around.

Thanks all!

Yes you can but it's a bit tricky as you'll need to tap into the rear pre-outs going to the Bose amp while leaving them intact and still feeding the amp. Most people simply use the powered speaker level feed going to the Bose sub, and feed this into the speaker level input on the amp (if it has one). Personally I think this horrible as you'll be getting not only a poorer dirty signal for the new sub, but also it's been fiddled with by the Bose amp as well, so tapping the pre-outs is far cleaner. I don't have the pinouts though on the B6 with Bose, but I'm sure someone has them on here.

AndyMac - thank you!!

So, to simplify, I could find out which wires I am to "tap" before they get to the Bose amp and then feed them into my external V12 amp? I would also then disconnect the crappy Bose sub.

Can I not just cut the wires, get a connector block and away we go?

I don't want to use the powered speaker output into my amp, cos it doesn't have one (I don't think) and I remember doing something similar as a kid and things got a little hot!

thanks again.

Yes that would be the easiest way, just use a terminal block or similar.