Audi A3 1.8T Sub Change?

DBXdarkangel

Reaction score
hey guys, call me a Noob if u like but im thinking of buying this

b_cbr12evo.jpg

250_Vibe-CBR-10-EVO-Active.jpg

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2924.html

its a Vibe: CBR12 EVO Active - 12" Active sub. ive read andys threads regarding the cutting of wires directly that goto the standard sub in my boot but i gotta quick question. would it be possible to just connect this new sub via the rca leads and leave the standard sub connected? i mean obviously the new sub being 1500w would out power the crap standard one. or would it be best to just cut the wires first?

i have a Sony CDX-GT50UI CD Player fitted alread so the rear connection would be simple.

thanks in advance

you can pick up the rca connection at the back of the car no problem
but the audi wiring is not very good anyhows it would be better off the headunit
but how are you going to power the sub ? you cannot simply cut the power wires off the old unit and put them on this one
its active in design so needs its own power cables which will have to be run down the car

to run that sub i suggest a minimum of 4 gauge cable fused correctly as close as possible to the battery
id also reccomend dissconnecting the old sub as it wont like playing in the same air space

Bear in mind that if you unplug the connector going to the Audi sub you will also disconnect the rear speakers as they run off the same amp as the sub in the non Bose system. If you have the Bose system then there's no problem as it uses 2 seperate amps. So you'll need to buy a small 2 x 25w amp to power the rear speakers on the non Bose setup.
Also don't go butchering the Audi loom, you can simply unplug it and use mini spade connectors to pick up the pre-outs and remote on connections, then it's a simple process to return to stock when you sell the car.

thanks guys. i havent actualy looked in the standard sub box yet but having read ur posts i thought it was just s simple unplug / cut the wire that goes from the rear amp to the sub speaker ( directly as it connects to the sub?)
then the amp would still work and run the rear speakers as ive not touched any wires to them speakers?

an yeah as the link i posted shows, you get rca cables and power cables that run from the battery with an inline fuse to the sub / amp set up :)

Well let us know when you find the amp in order to cut the cables!
Then also let us know how you are going to connect the RCA's for the sub while leaving the feed to the rear amp intact.

Well let us know when you find the amp in order to cut the cables!
Then also let us know how you are going to connect the RCA's for the sub while leaving the feed to the rear amp intact.

cut the + / - that connects to the actual sub speaker? err simple.

an the rca`s go from my head unit to the new sub with built in amp. yeah pretty simple id have thought. having built pioneer plasma tv`s for the past 10yrs then fitting a sub and amp in a A3 aint rocket science.

failing tha i can just rip out the speakers and fit componets. real hard..lol

You'd think wouldn't you?
The rear/sub amp is inside the tupperware sub enclosure, so you'd need to remove the sub enclosure in order to disconnect the sub.
Much easier to unplug the red sub plug without removing the enclosure. Then rewire the rear speakers directly to the HU, and pick up the feed to the rears from the red plug. Your Sony will have more power in its internal amp than the puny 2 x 20w rear amp, so pointless keeping the amp in the chain. Then you just need to run an RCA cable, remote on and power to the new sub.

to be honest i havent actualy looked in the sub box yet and having looked on line i thought the amp was in the rear passenger side panel. anyways i might just remove the sub box thats standard, run the rear speakers like u say direct from my head unit and the run a rca, power on from my head unit and the live feed direct from the battery. :think:

You only get the separate amp with the Bose system, which runs all the cabin speakers. Hopefully you've got the non Bose otherwise you'll have a whole host of other problems.
If your sub has just one speaker then it's non Bose.

yeah its the non bose system as the bose system had bose badges on the speakers on the door cards. plus the connecter would be diff when i fitted the sony head unit
think im gonna wip out the ****** standard sub on wednesday and fit the new one. should be simple by the sounds of it. :kissmyrings: