Digital TV Installation into an 8p S3 (some pics)

cooni

Reaction score
Sooo, I think I'm getting carried away but who cares.
<sarcasm>Decided that TV is something that I'd reallllly need in the car </sarcasm> so i went and got it done.

My expectation after reading various forums was to frankly not expect too much whilst in motion.
The end result has far exceeded my expectations and is pretty much perfect for most 2+ lane road driving.

Firstly, I got a Kufatec IMA Basic for video input into the stock RNS-E headunit from http://www.advancedice.com.au
07052008168.jpg

Next I got the VIM (software) hack applied by lt8x7 over at ozaudi. He uses a seperate hardware gizmo to flash the RNS-E rather than the processes of applying VIM outlined on the navplus.us forums. This *did* require the headunit PIN code which Audi were very reluctant to give me.

And then the TV tuner... Platinum Car Audio at Rydalmere did it up for me again, they are a great mob and I very highly recommend them (if you are in Sydney that is).

The tuner is a HiTV Pure II (http://www.hitv.com.au/product...l.php) SDTV tuner.
07052008169.jpg

This was the brand recommended by Platinum and also the only brand that I could find on the internets that talks about having specific electronics to cope with DVB-T reception whilst moving (some crap about doppler shift).

07052008167.jpg

Wired up for testing

One major drawback of getting TV put in was antenna placement.
I definitely did not want those ugly antenna strips running up the windscreen.
The solution was bumper mounted antennas. After a few test runs going around the block, this also happened to coincide with best reception for antenna placement so it was a no-brainer.

Front bumper needed removing; Peter couldn't figure out how to safely get it off so he called his panel-beater mate who came around and took it off in seconds.
07052008170.jpg

07052008171.jpg

The rear antenna could be fitted without removing it.

07052008173.jpg

The remote eye is probably the messiest part of the whole install because it has to be visible.
It looks messier in the pic than it is; there's electrical tape covering a rather bright red and blue LED :unsure: .

07052008174.jpg

An aux input has been put in the glovebox which I now use for my iPod (with no video) and there's a second aux-in on the tuner for a planned dvd/divx drive (though I prefer TV so we'll see).

07052008172.jpg

And here it is, all working.

MAn id love that, JMust aint got the balls or skill to take my car apart lol.
Nice Job

nice work, can i ask how much the tuner set you back? ive been thinking of adding this in for a while now but didnt think it would work..