Concert II Replacement / Alternative

Audi-Bob

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought my first A3 (01 1.8T Sport Quattro) so i thought i'd drop by as i need some advice :) I have the single CD Concert II (i believe) and there are a couple of things wrong with it.

1. It has an erratic volume control
2. It skips when playing CDs. Not all CDs but most including brand new ones.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert2.jpg

I'd really like an Ipod adapter and a working CD player! So the choices as i see it are:

1. Get a replacement Concert II and an Audi Ipod adapter
2. Get a new sound system such as the Apline iDA-X001

Does anyone have any advice? I really like the way the concert II looks in the dash and i'd like to keep the red glow theme! Does anyone have any pics of their A3 with custom cd player?

Cheers!
Bob

Go for a Becker unit
mexico-pro-7932.jpg

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing over the head-unit to a Becker Grand Prix.

When i connect the blue amp lead to power the rear canbus set-up, i suffer some noise/interference from the rear speakers.

If i put the standard HU back in it goes away. Any ideas?

I've got a concert 2 cd head unit I just took out of my 04 a3 in exactly new condition if interested so sensible offers welcome & you can easily install an ipod link cable like the dension system which was plugnplay on cd input.

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing over the head-unit to a Becker Grand Prix.

When i connect the blue amp lead to power the rear canbus set-up, i suffer some noise/interference from the rear speakers.

If i put the standard HU back in it goes away. Any ideas?

What car?
Bypass the rear amp as it's a pile of shyte and the wiring to it is shockingly bad (not screened properly).
You could try earthing the chassis of the Becker to the chassis of the car, but it's probably more likely that the pre-outs are picking up interference due to the shyte Audi wiring.

Yeah I was gonna say check earthing, seems to be common issue when changing head units to non audi huh Andy, think we had someone else other day who had same problem didnt they with an alpine head or am I seeing things now.

"What Car?"

Sorry, forgot that bit - Audi A4 B6 Saloon. The issue is intermittent; I’ll see how it goes now I’ve bolted the car back together. I had the drill out on the roof, it now sports a GTI Bosch aerial. I know it ruins the look; however the increased reception overcomes that as I spend 4-5hrs a day commuting around the M25... I've now got handsfree & mp3 connectivity :)

So, this may seem like a stupid question, however here goes...

The "rear" speakers, would these be the sets in the rear doors & the rear shelf, and does that house the sub? If so, how would I access all of them & wire them - are they in series?

In addition, the same with the fronts. Also, if I was to change them all, what sizes/types would I require - components for the doors/co-axial for dash & rear & a new sub?

the sub is in the cubbyhole in the boot (drivers side), this is where the amp is mounted as well. You can pick up the wiring to the rears from this amp. Not sure how they are wired in the saloon (I only have rear door speakers as it's an avant).
All the door speakers are 6.5" components with 1" tweeters, but you do need deep spacer rings and they are mounted about 40mm off the inner door skin.
Avantfrontwoofer.jpg

Avantdoorcard.jpg