Shutting down the sandwich box sub but not the rear speakers, how do you do it?

Redhot006

Standard A3 1.9 TDI 110bhp
Reaction score
Shutting down the sandwich box sub but not the rear speakers, how do you do it?

When i unplug the connector the two rear speakers stop as well as the sandwich box sub, can you get round this? I only want to disable to sub.

Or should i just buy a decent quality speaker to go in it?

What size is it? Anyone know? Thanks.

You'll need to remove the the sub enclosure, remove the front panel and disconnect all connections to the sub speaker - it's a dual voice coil unit so has 2 pairs of wires running to it. The reason you can't just snip a wire on the loom is that the amp is inside the enclosure and drives both the sub and the rears, and all the connections to the sub are inside. The only other oprion is to unplug it and wire in a small 2 x 20w amp to drive just the rears.

So can i take the crappy sub out and pop another one in there? I don't know what you mean really man. Cheers

What are you trying to achieve?
You can't drive a different sub off the puny 50w Audi amp, and most of the issue with the stock sub are to do with the feeble power & the plastic enclosure, which is not man enough to provide anything approaching bass.
If you want a proper upgrade then fit one of my stealth subs which replaces the whole tupperware box with a custom 18mm MDF enclosure housing a JL Audio 6.5" sub and has a proper 300w amp hidden behid the rear speaker panel.