New head unit, but no power.

parmarano

Reaction score
Im installing a new pioneer HU into a 2002 TT roadster(with a bose speaker system). Ive got all the correct wiring adaptors, but when its all connected the HU doesn't power on. When I plug the original audi system(chorus) the screen says "safe".

-the pioneer head unit works fine in another car.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You need to connect the ignition on feed & perm lives together at the HU (the red & yellow fused wires). Audi's from 01 onwards aren't wired with the 2 seperate feeds needed by all aftermarket HU's. They only have a perm live feed and the ignition on is fed through the CANBUS. Twin the 2 feeds together and it'll work fine but you'll need to turn the HU on/off manually.
If this is a pain then you'll need to wire in a proper ignition on feed from the ignition or the fusebox.

sweet, exactly what i wanted to know too, my aftermarket HU was also pioneer. turning the HU off manually wont harm the player/ car in any way or loose battery power, no??

Would I have the same issue with my 2001 S3 Andy?

Cheers

No way of telling, they changed over to CAN-BUS around 2001, so you'll just have to see when you pull the HU

Ok cheers Andy, I have a early Jan 01 plate so fingers crossed!!! (Although I suspect I may have as mine has Sat Nav + which I suspect although im no expert, needs CAN-BUS to operate).