How to tell if you have a full Bose or only rear amped system

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
As part of the upgrade I want to run an aftermarket system off the factory BOSE system, I will then gradually upgrade to a decent 4 channel amp to run the fronts and a sub with the rears being left to run from the HU. I can see that you can buy the looms but you need to pick a specific one.

So whats the easiest way to tell if its a fully amped BOSE system or just rear powered ? the car is a Sportback.

All Bose systems are fully amped. Only the non Bose systems have "rear only" amplification. Basically the Bose system relies on the Bose amp for that woolly Bose sound and the speakers are all 2 ohm impedance so can't be run directly off the HU.

but I could use the aftermarket HU with BOSE loom to start with and then at a later date build the rest of the system with a new amp sub + speakers ?

Yes, but you might get the dreaded "popping" issue depending on the HU, unless you use the speaker input loom adapter which uses a hi-lo converter on the HU speaker outputs. Not brilliant for SQ though.

That popping issue is the amp turning off/on before the head unit isn't it ? HU i'm looking at Kenwood, Pioneer or JVC.

You can also get pops when adjusting the volume to zero or changing CD tracks, so really quite annoying

All Bose systems are fully amplified so apart from the popping issue with the RCA adapter there are no other issues. Personally I wouldn't even bother trying to integrate a new HU with the BLOSE system. Wait until you have the amp and speakers and do the whole job.

Thanks Andy, I will upgrade the speakers later on when I can afford to. Reason I asked is a lot of people seem to have trouble getting the rear speaker and sub working or there really quiet when installing a new headunit.. Any suggestions getting round that Andy?

Cheers

PS Apart from ditching the whole Bose system! :p