What Audi HU can I fit to a 2001 8L?

alijames

Reaction score
Hi guys (probably mainly Andymac),

I've spent a few months trawling the forums, and am still a bit confused as to what Headunits I can use to replace the HU in my 2001 Facelift S3, which I should get in the next week or so...

It's currently got a non-Bose Concert system with rear CD Changer, and I'd like to change the HU for another Audi one, but with a front CD, say a Concert II, but want to ask a couple of questions :

Should I have CanBus in a 2001 Facelift, and how can I tell?

Which models will be a straight drop in replacment?

Can I go the whole hog and get a Symphony II, RNS-D/E or even the newest 2007 Symphony/Concert system, and if so what facia parts would I need to mod/replace to install it and move the A/C controls down?

If I fit one with a front CD slot, will I still get the use of the changer as well?

Maybe we could get a matrix of compatible head units vs car models somewhere on the site, or is there one already? If people let me know what they have in their car, whether it was standard or how easy is was to retrofit, I'm happy to correlate it all.

Cheers,

You should have CANBUS - to check you need to pull the HU and see if you have an ignition on feed to the black power connector on the back of the HU.
As long as you don't have this, then the ConcertII should be a straight swap, the only issues are the fascia as there are different Concert2's for different Audi's as the fascia profile is very slightly different. A lot of them seem to come from TT's and I don't know know if these match the A3 fascia.
All Audi HU's technically will be a straight swap, apart from the CANBUS issue which was around 2000.
Yes you can still use the changer with a Concert2.