Tunebase in lighter socket

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
I just bought one of these and am happy...

I have noticed that even when the ipod is removed and the ignition out, the green light on the end of the tunebase is still lit green...

Is there any danger of this draining my battery. I would prefer to leave it in all the time rather than take it out each journey !!

If the Ipod is out it wont be charging anything... But obviously the lit green led will consume some battery power no ?

Any thoughts welcome

Regards

Tim

Yes the lighter socket is on all the time for some reason. You need to wire it in properly to the fusebox, so it goes off with the engine.

so even if the ipod is not slotted in, will the green led drain the car battery ?

I thought the Tunebase was primarily an FM transmitter for the iPOD, so this will still be transmitting and will drain the battery over a few days, probably the same sort of power consumption as leaving the interior light on. The LED is irrelevant.

it does have a n fm transmitter, but it stops transmitting when the ipod is disconnected...

its just the green light stays on

The cigarette lighter always being on is a bit of a pain if you're using a 3rd party SatNav isn't it?

Is there enough ampage in the 12v HU supply to run the HU and a SatNav?

Apart from draining the battery, another thing you may want to think about (and a bit boring, so apologies), is in leaving it in the power socket, which could let a car thief think that the ipod is also in your vehicle. This could lead to your car being broken into. Goes along the same lines as wiping off the sucker marks on the windscreen for sat navs etc. Sorry to be boring