Removing Sat Nav and Replacing - Can it be done?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2001 S3 with the factory Sat Nav Plus option in the car. I believe its the RNS-D version (it's a CD not DVD). It happened to come with the car, so I viewed it as an added bonus.. Howver im disppapointed with it as I've used to TomTom Go. It doesnt have full postcode support or speed camera warning which is a shame, but considering the Audi software came out a long time before TomTom then I can't expect it to be on parrr.

Anyway, so I want to ditch the system and use my TomTom GO and integrate my Ipod with track names on the screen etc... Am I right in thinking its a double DIN system?

Could I take my Sat Nav Plus unit out and replace it with another double din unit? (Im thinking this one if so from Alpine: http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/index.php?id=iva-w205r)

Would I need any special facias for it to fit or is it a standard Double Din Size? I understand I'll need an additonal loom and aerial adapter if it fits... Also would I need to disable Sat-Nav via VAG-COM if the car still thinks it has it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Yes it is a double din unit. Have you considered replacing it with an RNS-E (DVD) Audi sat nav, best thing I ever did to my A4 was fit RNS - doubles the driving pleasure. :hubbahubba:
I'm sure the Alpine unit would fit - probably won't work with the DIS display though?

Tomtom go is quicker and more user friendly than the RNS-E but not having to remove the TT every time you park up is a bonus.

RNS-E does play MP3's on SD cards.

The DIS will be blank where the radio section was with the Alpine.

steve1975l said:
Tomtom go is quicker and more user friendly than the RNS-E but not having to remove the TT every time you park up is a bonus.

RNS-E does play MP3's on SD cards.

The DIS will be blank where the radio section was with the Alpine.

Thanks for the response guys, yeah I did consider the RNS-E but whats swinging me to the apline unit is:

1) It can play DVD's - for annoying passengers off course on long car journeys

2) I'll be able to have access to ALL my music librabry from my Ipod which is over 8gig

3) It's fully touchscreen operation which I think is very cool!

4) I dont use my Sat Nav a massive amount, maybe once a week so taking out of the car each time wont be to much of a pain....

Can I ask what the DIS is? Is it the info diplayed on the dash?

Also am I right in thinking I'd need connectors to plug this unit in? And lastly does anyone know how much my RNS-D may fetch on ebay?

Cheers guys that's usefull stuff.

The DIS is the Driver Information System, it's the display between the speedo and the rev counter, with the audi stereo the display shows the radio station etc.
As for connectors and fascia plate try this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi-2001-c-292_294_341.html
The RNS D on Ebay might fetch up to £100?
The RNS E has 2 SD card slots, not sure what the largest size of card is but am sure they go up to at least 4gb. 2 cards would give you the 8gb of the Ipod.
RNS E would win for me any day, it is possible to add a dvd player to the unit if you really want DVD.