AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

complete refit help!

Ive just got x plate s3 and im having the problem with the stereo where the volume just does what it likes so i wanna upgrade almost every thing front back speakers and head unit. Now ive got2 amps and 6x9 and 15" sub can any help me with what speakers and they have in front and back and headunit also i have to be able to play my ipod through it im looking for easy options but want it to sound good as i wont be fitting it my friend will! hope this makes sense and hope you can help

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Standard speakers are 4" components at the front with 1" tweeters, and 6.5" coaxials at the rear + 1 x 6.5" so called sub woofer in tupperware box in the boot.
    If you have the Bose upgrade then all speakers are 4" including 2 x 4" for the sub.
    The fronts can go up to 5.25" with adapters, but depth is limited to 55mm if you want the windows to work.
    The rears can be as big as you like, but all speakers are screwed to flimsy door cards so quality will be limited with whatever you fit unless you go for custom door builds.
    As regards HU's then the world is your oyster, pretty much anything these days will provide AUX in for iPOD etc so without further info can't really make a recommendation. If you want to keep it stock looking then Becker is your best bet. If you want a chavvy looking Blackpool illuminations setup then Halfords sell some really nasty looking stuff.
    Whatever you choose a 15" sub is total overkill in an A3, pretty much overkill in anything other than a Transit.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK cheers 4 the reply! so would you say if the speakers are Bose witch i believe they r not worth changing just put some decent 6x9s in and maybe down size the sub? ive got 12" sub some where!

Status
    Have a look at the tupperware sub in the rear left cubbyhole in the boot. If it has a single speaker then it's not a Bose system. The Bose system uses 2 x 4" drivers in the sub.
    The enclosure and the amp to drive it is probably more important than the sub itself. Depends what you want. If you want the bass to overpower everything then the bigger the better. If you want a balanced system then an 8" or 10" in a decent enclosure will give you a better result.
    Alex Turner

5th Gear

Status
    agree with the hellfrauds comment

Whatever you choose a 15" sub is total overkill in an A3, pretty much overkill in anything other than a Transit.[/quote]

why do you think a fifteen is overkill in anything bar a transit ?
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

Status
    Because it is.
    Not just Transits, Buses & Coaches as well!
    I think we've had this discussion before Nath, suffice to say if a 15 isn't overkill then why haven't you got one in your (much bigger than an A3) B6?
    Personally I think most non competition cars running 15" subs have really gone for size over anything else. With the total lack of any bass or even mid bass from the interior of the A3 I'd always opt for a smaller sub in a well built enclosure which should give you a better balance.
    Without knowing exactly what nasher is after, I have to assume decent sound over tailgate rattling nonsense, which can easily be achieved with smaller units while retaining some boot space.
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    well when i turn on the stereo it says bose and ive got little sub and amp i think but the sub is poor at the minute i will prob go with 12" i do like bit of bass!

Status
    Bose on the display is just cosmetic, it means nothing apart from the possibility the HU was swapeed from a car that did have Bose or someone switched on the Bose "welcome" using VAGCOM.
    As said, how many drivers does the sub have?
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    sorry drivers? im fairly new 2 this!

Status
    speakers
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    oh yea defently got 4 speakers they quite good as well i gotta get mdf parcel shelf as well

Status
    How many speakers in the sub not in the car!
    Alex Turner

5th Gear

Status
    i not gonna go off topic but
    any subwoofer can be tuned to do anything you like it has nothing to do with competition andy its simple physics
    a smaller sub is no faster or slower than a larger one
    a larger sub does have advantages over a smaller one though
    its frequency response will mean in a common sealed enclosure it will play lower and also louder than a smaller model of the same range

i dont run a fifteen simply because as ive allready got all the bases covered frequency response ,how loud, enclosure type
    but if i hadnt there is no reason why i wouldnt use one
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer

Status
    Simple physics would also dictate a smaller sub is faster i.e. punchier, cone smaller/lighter, but I know you only want to believe physics when it suits so lets not go there. I know what I prefer and what I think sounds better.
    Alex Turner

5th Gear

Status
    once again im afraid physics has the better of you
    perhaps a little research upon the subject before making such sweeping statements
    a very clever man named "dan wiggins" at adire audio dissproved the myth that a smaller sub is quicker than a larger one
    it simply isnt true its exactly the same
    the basics of it are this
    size matters not when it comes to speed of a sub
    smaller lighter cone is cancelled out by having to move further in the stroke (xmax)for equal volume
    larger cone is cancelled by less air resistance of smaller sub
    if you wnat more information try "xbl2" or "dan wiggins" in the search engine

some people have a preferance for small subs some for large
    but thats personal preferance not fact
    you know what you like but that preferance may not be shared by others

5th Gear

Status
    10's are enough for me but the A3 is likely to get an 8" sub
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined